The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rip tubbie 1?

edge

Well after a good day out some other supra guys and girls i think my turbo No1 has died.

We pulled into a car park and someone said its been smoking alot. I blipped the throttle and shed loads of blue smoke came out. Let it cool down while we had a few drinks and set off back to weston,

Driving on the way home no smoke at all but the car does feels hesitant before the second turbo kicks in.

But im confused as it dont seem to smoke. Only thing that has been done is a spark plug change which made all the difference.

So does this sound as if No 1 turbo has come to its end? :(

Car never used any oil since i have had her from febuary :blink:

Edge,

It was certainly smoking when we were at the pub. If you want, I've got a spare standard BOV somewhere if you want to try setting a few things back to standard. You could also see if it's chucking out oil from the breather pipe between the exhaust side of the engine and the air intake.

J

Thanks for that.

Yeah thinks me needs to eliminate stuff now.

It also smelt very rich on tickover too when it smoked. tried it earlier in the car park and nothing.

From what i could see and im not 100% is that i think the boost guage flickers about intermitently when on tubbie 1 +/- 0.2 bar.

Yeah. Maybe they've coked up and are screwing with the fuel mix. You still got the old ones? May be worth cleaning then, checking the gap and refitting? Boost shouldn't fluctuate unless you press/release the throttle.

I cleaned the old ones and ran them for a while. after a week took them out to change and they were f*%ked.

But if it was the plugs them im still left with the question of why did it nearly choke evryone in the car park when i blipped the throttle.

Thinks this one is gona take some doing :lol:

Wonder if it could be the cold start coolant sensor (I assume it has this, or another sensor) which is making the mixture too rich, which in turn is causing the other problems of smoke, funny boost etc. Could also try cleaning the O2 sensor in lemon juice.

Ok too the hks ssqv off and cleand as much as i could not wanting to remove things i was unsure about.

On its first start up this morning NO smoke, absolutly nothing.

Took all the big black pipes off inc air filter etc. No oil contamination realy clean and just a bit of usual dirt from its life.

Only thing i did stumble across was a pipe from the cam cover that goes to the intake manifold. Unsure what its called.

i will do a search for a pic

Side topic. Where do you get new stock turbo's from is there any other ones apart from going to Mr T?

What would be better stock or hybrids and cost of both.

NOOO dont goto Mr T unless you want to throw your money away. Go for a set of hybrids or fully refurbished steel bladed units if you have j-specs. just have a search about on here, theres loads of posts.

If you want to verify the O2 sensor is working within range, put one side of a multimeter into the O2 port in the diagnostics plug and the other to the negative battery terminal, I believe that if the signal pulses higher than .7, then its running too rich and the sensor should be replaced or cleaned.