The mkiv Supra Owners Club

electric windows

supracharged

my drivers side electric window broke - so i took the door apart and found that theres a cable (non electric) that comes from the motor and connects to the window pulling it up and down has snapped.

does anyone know if i can buy the cable separatly or does it come as a sealed unit with the motor and bracket?

also were can i get one from other than toyotas "it will take 3 weeks to get one & it might not fit a facelift" helpful garage response!!

cheers for any help

You cannot buy just the cables from Toyota, the unit costs around £70 or so.

Jezzybabes will no doubt have a secondhand one for you, but how long will it last?

I fixed mine with a couple of bike cables from Halfords but it's a little fiddly as you have to cut them to length and have a way of anchoring the ends etc.

For the sake of £70 you're better off buying a new one.

Any secondhand one will already have wear on it and could go at anytime. It's a fairly common occurence - I know of at least 4 including mine.

The cable unit comes complete with the reel and guides but not the motor. That just unbolts.

You cannot buy just the cables from Toyota, the unit costs around £70 or so.

Jezzybabes will no doubt have a secondhand one for you, but how long will it last?

I fixed mine with a couple of bike cables from Halfords but it's a little fiddly as you have to cut them to length and have a way of anchoring the ends etc.

I did the same thing, and it has lasted fine for the last 3 years without missing a beat. Seemed a waste to spend £70 when the majority of the unit was perfectly useable. Cost me about £4 I think.

Mine went a few weeks ago, the motor/regulator is dead simple to fit, the problem is getting the window re-aligned, I've had the door panel off 5 or 6 times since fitting the replacement unit and I'm still getting wind noise, very annoying :banghead:

It's not that obvious when you take it to bits and then put it back together that you can tilt out the window mechanism at the bottom of the door using the fixings right at the bottom!

This will move the window glass in at the top to fit nice and snugly into the seal when the door is closed.

It's not that obvious when you take it to bits and then put it back together that you can tilt out the window mechanism at the bottom of the door using the fixings right at the bottom!

This will move the window glass in at the top to fit nice and snugly into the seal when the door is closed.

I've tried everything. I've spent hours moving the glass about, I've moved the stops up and down and fiddled with the adjuster at the bottom but cannot get rid of the gap. When I close the door there is a gap but when I wind the window up from inside the car with the door closed the glass sits into the seals nicely. I've just about run out of ideas, I might just take it to Toyota, get them to sort it out!

I just checked with toyota on a new window mech price. £210 plus vat! :blink:

I'm sure someone in a previous post said that it was only in the region of £70 .

mmm :idea:

I could start offering a cable replacement service, easy when you know how! :)

Make some money too! :D

I'm sure someone in a previous post said that it was only in the region of £70 .

mmm :idea:

I could start offering a cable replacement service, easy when you know how! :)

Make some money too! :D

That's probably for the whole mech including motor.