The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BPU to Single, My experience

wkdtime

I wrote a nice little write up earlier but my PC died..Doh!

BPU,

It Amazing, its cheapish to do (£1200 give or take), it transfomed the car completely, the Supra was now living to it's name as far as i was concerned. I think this is a must for all Supra's!

APU,

Michel Lane offered to do a single turbo conversion at a cut price (Labour) and I opted in with a few others and was chosen.

The task was to trasnform my 6 Speed BPU to a SPGT67 Single Turbo, the goal was 500-550HP.............we scored big time at 1.4 BAR:)

THe car is now running of the Wastegate at 1.2Bar, on a rolling road it showed it to be just shy of 500 HP ATF at 1.2Bar.

What's it like to drive I hear you say?

It's absolutely mental!

Forget the Hype, forget the Numbers, forget the torque, forget the pub talk figures, at 1.2 Bar the car pulls so hard in ever gear that the nose can be seen lifting up, my kidneys are slammmed to the back, the Speedo moves like a rev counter, the noise from the car is phenomenal, it's very different to BPU.

I got more than I wanted, some of you will rip into me for saying this, but at 1.2 Bar...this car scares me, at 1.4 BAR I will need nappies!

Advice for any one thinking of going down the single route?

DON'T CHASE NUMBERS OR BIG HP!

After 500 HP the driveability of the car slowly goes down hill, why?

TRACTION!

I would like to thank Michel for the delivering what he had promised and much more and also taking care of a few problems which he found on his marry way free of charge:)

I went in wanting a 500 HP car with a bling bling Turbo, I came out with a mental driving machine.

Spec,

SPGT67

4" DP

4" MP

880 CC Injectors

Aeromotive FPR

High Flow Fuel Rail

Twin in tank Walbro's

XS Power FMIC

Koyo Rad

Horse Power Freaks 900hp Clutch

Lightened Fly wheel.

Pictures to follow soon.

I've got about another 6months to wait for mine to be completely finished but what I wanna know... is the hype around spool up and response all hype with this size of turbo...how do you find it?

I really want a 500rwhp car with the most response pos...I wanna use it on the track, would spool up and lag only be an issue when coming off the line and coming out of corners? Or is it eradicated once on the track through the use of engine breaking e.t.c where the revs would be pretty high anyway therefore you would still be on boost?

What is the a/r on the SPGT67? Is it dbb?

Out of intrest what ecu are you on and who mapped it?:)

Map ECU for now, the car idles beautifully just like stock, afr's are in the 11's, and im only running low boost.

You'll have to speak to Michel about the mapper, initially it was mapped by someone at Birmingham, but the car had an electrical fault (My Bad) which shorted the ecu and reset the Map so it was mapped again but this time it was done by somone alot closer to home to Michel.

I've got about another 6months to wait for mine to be completely finished but what I wanna know... is the hype around spool up and response all hype with this size of turbo...how do you find it?

I really want a 500rwhp car with the most response pos...I wanna use it on the track, would spool up and lag only be an issue when coming off the line and coming out of corners? Or is it eradicated once on the track through the use of engine breaking e.t.c where the revs would be pretty high anyway therefore you would still be on boost?

What is the a/r on the SPGT67? Is it dbb?

It's not DBB, 0.68 A/R, perfect for street, it start's spooling in the early 3k's and full boost by 4000 RPM.

The boost is very linear and not like bang and it's there, it very predictable and smooth.

Great thread mate. I am now just wondering when Michel is up for his next holiday (and Supra project).:)

As the rest of the team have already said; a great write-up and it just shows the skill of Michel and some of the other guys on this forum.

Can't wait to see the pics;)

Nice one enjoy, looking forward to pics and another speedo vid;)

Hi jamie if i wanted to go single on mine what sort of price would i be looking at who would be best to get to do it i would want the same sort of results as wkdtime about 500 at the fly any guidance would be appreciated plus mine is auto.

Cheers chris

The task was to trasnform my 6 Speed BPU to a SPGT67 Single Turbo, the goal was 550HP.............we scored big time at 1.4 BAR:)
So what was the figure at 1.4 bar?

1.2Bar, on a rolling road it showed it to be just shy of 500 HP ATF at 1.2Bar.
What was the RWHP?

How does it spool compared to a 61? Can we see the dyno chart?

Hi jamie if i wanted to go single on mine what sort of price would i be looking at who would be best to get to do it i would want the same sort of results as wkdtime about 500 at the fly any guidance would be appreciated plus mine is auto.

Cheers chris

Needs a new thread bud, there is a lot of different things you could do and people you could use, but for the workmanship Turbofit put into mine i will always recomend them:)

So what was the figure at 1.4 bar?

One the first Dyno Run at Birmingham it made 520 at the Fly,

The results for the Remap and dyno session two was at another Dyno location (one closer to Michel) for which i have a computer print out.

Can we see the dyno chart?

Sure, once i get the time.

What was the RWHP?

At 1.1 Bar it made 430 odd HP at the wheels on the rolling road during the second session (Dyno sheet in car at home)

How does it spool compared to a 61?

I have no idea!

Okie,

I have the Dyno sheet here, will get it scanned when i can,

Info,

Dyno: Dastek Dynamometers

Max power wheels: 428.2 HP @ 6199 rpm

Max Power engine: 471.4 HP @ 6273 rpm

Max Torque: 426.7 lbf.ft @ 4697 rpm

Environment Temp: 24.3 Degs. C

Bar Pressure 1021 mBar.

are the internals ok with this sort of power then?? i was under the impression that the were only good for around 450??!

Bottom end is apparantly good for 600 HP, 500 HP is a safer number on stock internals combined with a non aggressive tune.

iam glad you like the car, it does drive very nice , after going yours and then driving mine , the 67 setup is so much better . I have now started the aristo single conversion , ill be using a garrett gt 8082 turbo and a MAP ecu.

I would like to point out to everyone, because of my slight accident whilst on holiday , fracture wrist,because of my lack in snow boarding skills , i contracted an outside company to doing the main work on the car. They did an excellent job on the install, i managed the project as did with gordiesteve single conversion . We combined our knowledge and provided and excellent solution on both jobs. The company that i use are known as STORM RACING -. They have skills in V8 and most Jap turbo cars. Its very hard to find a garage that will provide a solution without cutting corners, i will be using them again for all work that i take on.

If anyone is intrested i will be taking another project on based on a 1 month period , from start to finish. Fully built engine + single turbo + mapping .