The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BPU Any Regrets ???

markjodrell

Many people praise the benefits of going BPU , full decat etc.

I can appreciate the extra power increase that is gained but has anyone experience problems with reliability or been dissapointed with the results for whatever reason.(blown turbos etc)

Why I ask is that I am seriously thinking of going BPU, probably by CW but I have noticed that the majority of people having problems with their cars wether it be boost probs fueling, tickover,not starting etc etc etc are with cars that have been modified in some way ,usually BPU`ed.

Does BPUing generally cause more hassle in the reliability stakes and do the pros out weigh the cons.

Comments please

:search: :search: :search:

Guest gzaerojon

soon after i went BPU the turbos started smoking and got worse by the day, but i'm thinking that i had run them on 1.2 bar a bit too much, or maybe by removing the cats it showed the problem up and i may have had this from day 1 (not sure if cats can hold back smoke?)

It will highlight any issues such as leaking seals etc which many people blame going BPU, but was there in the first place but masked.

No regrets at all from me. I don't drive mine like a loon though and generally stay within 1.0bar and less.

No regrets here either and the car is running better as good as ever. That said I've never used a boost controller so it tops out at 0.9bar. Make sure your intercooler and radiator are in good condition first... It'll be noisier and slightly less smooth, but well worth it :)

I did speak to Chris a while back before I read more on here. Chris did actually mention that you can expect a bit more smoke especially on start up after going BPU.

At the end of the day the TTs are quick anyway, I would really like the extra power but worry that I would end up with loads of issues with the car after going bpu and basically spending £600 to make the car troublesome and unreliable......

im 70% BPU and am loving the upgrades and all the BHP that comes with it in the end of the day if it goes pop it goes pop itll all be down to how well she has been treated i thought i was needing an engine rebuild as i could hear a knock on cold start we later found it was the dump valve hitting the hks hard pipe i felt like a rite eejit lol

other than that no regreats so far:cool:

No regrets here either and the car is running better as good as ever. That said I've never used a boost controller so it tops out at 0.9bar. Make sure your intercooler and radiator are in good condition first... It'll be noisier and slightly less smooth, but well worth it :)

0.9 bar , is that through choice RR etc ??? Most say they either get a 1.0 to 1.2 bar rr fitted.

In all fairness you shouldnt let the horror stories put you off, I mean we're going to hear the bad stories more on here then the good, its the nature of this place isnt it. Something goes wrong, where do you go........ ;)

Whip them cats out and you'll be grinning :D

Never had any problems here either, nothing at all. And been checking the car over recently and started it the other week for the first time in months and still never had a single puff of smoke.. But really its all down to having a tip top car to start with before changing anything.. Get it running perfect and ready to take the additional BHP increases and its all grins. And the noise from my fully decatted UK is out of theis world..

The only regret I have about going BPU are the fuel bills, they come in a lot more often now :)

I have a heavy right foot , the main prob with my fuel consumption is that the Supra is my second car (toy) so I take it out for a drive to play, not going anywhere that I need to , just for a drive around.So I tend to drive fast and brake hard....hence the last time I topped up to check fuel consumption it was after 94 miles and took £26 of Vmax to refill her up.......

Would this go down much on BPU

Re the going BPU, ........ I just know its going to happen, I just need convincing.

Incidently can CW do any sort of checks to guage the general condition of the engine to make sure its up for the power upgrade ????

As for fuel, i can't really say I noticed and difference, my is only a nice day summer toy too. But it takes about 80 quid to fill up and i clocked about 280 miles on it. That was before going BPU and haven't niticed much differnce but to be honest I don't drive hard to really drink it..

Get the basics done, like fluid changes, plugs etc, then get things like the intercooler checked and see if its up for the increase in boost.. You got a boost gauge? if not get one.

Got a boost guage, not fitted yet though.

As a matter of interest, I got an electronic guage as I believe they are more acurate, I assumed these connected to a sensor somewhere, I was surprised to find in the box all the pipes associated with a mechanical guage and with the wiring and connection to connect to this plumbing as such, is this how all electronic guages are connected, I thought it would been a purly wiring job,

I have a heavy right foot , the main prob with my fuel consumption is that the Supra is my second car (toy) so I take it out for a drive to play, not going anywhere that I need to , just for a drive around.So I tend to drive fast and brake hard....hence the last time I topped up to check fuel consumption it was after 94 miles and took £26 of Vmax to refill her up.......

Would this go down much on BPU

Re the going BPU, ........ I just know its going to happen, I just need convincing.

Incidently can CW do any sort of checks to guage the general condition of the engine to make sure its up for the power upgrade ????

I used my MKIV TT as daily driver/commute at BPU for a couple of years, didn't bring on any issues even with a regular trip up to Santa Pod for some drag runs although as has been mention she get's pampered with very regular oil changes and general maintainance. Now she's tucked away in the garage in my new gaff and i now appreciate the occasional drive even moreso!

If it's your 2nd car/not your daily driver even more reason to go BPU! Trust me it really does feelike you've unleashed the true power monster and beast that MKIV TT is, you'll love it!

Especially if you have a heavy right foot cos i have one of those too must get our shoes from the same place!!:D

Should the worst happen eventually there are many Single options to go for, although I guess as always, it's the cheaper ones you need to avoid.:rolleyes:

Just make sure your engine, radiator, intercooler, IC hoses, etc. are in good condition before going BPU.

I didn't (didn't know better then) when I did mine years ago and had problems. First with cooling issues when my radiator burst and around 6 months later my front oil seal went, which turned out to be a knackered engine which cost a lot to put that right. Around 2 years later I had a turbo blow whist my emanage was being mapped on the dyno, again not a cheap fix.

I don't want to put you off doing it, but just make sure you get it done properly, by someone who knows what they are doing. It is definitely worth it, as it gives a significant improvement in performance, but be warned it will highlight any existing wear or problems.

Just make sure your engine, radiator, intercooler, IC hoses, etc. are in good condition before going BPU.

I didn't (didn't know better then) when I did mine years ago and had problems. First with cooling issues when my radiator burst and around 6 months later my front oil seal went, which turned out to be a knackered engine which cost a lot to put that right. Around 2 years later I had a turbo blow whist my emanage was being mapped on the dyno, again not a cheap fix.

I don't want to put you off doing it, but just make sure you get it done properly, by someone who knows what they are doing. It is definitely worth it, as it gives a significant improvement in performance, but be warned it will highlight any existing wear or problems.

But in a way Nic these stories are part and parcel of it, I think you would be stupid if you was in the frame of mind that a car running a setup like this aint gonna run into problems, but its the problems part we're also on about here, and you can eliminate so many of these to start with.

I have had some issues with mine over the years, sometimes I swear people only remember the bad lol, every time I post on here I get "not having much luck are you" :taped: And I even get it from friends, but to me this is what its all about, making mistakes and realising what you should be doing. Even now after 5 years, after chucking money at her year after year I still feel Im only just realising what I should have done and the way I should have done it. My story so far runs like: blown stocks after 12 month'ish from prev. owner running decat with no ring (ooeerrr), next 2nd hand stocks given to me from another forum member which we think was shipped badly let go after 90 miles on the way home. Intercooler, it seems was very cheaply supplied by a known trader here (thats another thing you learn, quality of goods). Then hybrids, built from again a trader around here, bearing failure in both turbos after 15000'ish miles. But thats all in the past now, lol, Mmmmm till next time, but now my shocks are gone, and people are like, its one thing after another, but in all fainess thats not the cars fault, thats probably something to do with her being over the hundred thousand mark now and shocks are supposedly only rated to 80000'ish.....

Apologies, that dribbled on a bit...... :search:

But she has always kept going, even when not quite running right, but then she is, ohhhh boy, yeah, wheres my next pay check :D Bit like life, the low's always make you appreciate the highs more ;)

Yes you learn a lot when things go wrong. Finding a good tuner who knows what they are doing and how things should be done properly, is one of the most important lessons I've learnt.

Always using quality parts, replacing parts with new parts when worn, always doing regular manitenance to keep the car in mechanically sound condition and regular services is also critical.

HK roads are especially hard on cars, not much cruising here. All stopping and starting, urban driving on less than ideal road surfaces wears things such as clutches, brakes and suspension components a lot quicker than motorway cruising.