The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help, engine making knocking noise!

Stonkin

Could do with some help please peeps. Just got home and noticed my engine is making a knocking noise around the cam area! I took a video on my phone incase anyone has any ideas?

Also went to a petrol station on way home and drove over a screw which has ripped through a back tyre! :(

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the noise doesnt sound like a pulley to me. And from those pics the belts look straight.

Christian the pulley your after looking for is quite easy to find.

Stand infront of the centre of the engine and look straight down to the bottom pulley with the Aux belt on it, if it still looks attached to the centre bit it isnt that.

:D

that all looks OK

have you checked your oil level (cold)

sorry dont know how to check the shells( big ends) have you tried a long screw driver or piece of wood to your ear along the cam covers to try to locate a loud spot?

be careful dont tangle yourself up in something!

Rich

:D

that all looks OK

have you checked your oil level (cold)

sorry dont know how to check the shells( big ends) have you tried a long screw driver or piece of wood to your ear along the cam covers to try to locate a loud spot?

be careful dont tangle yourself up in something!

Rich

To check the shells the bottom needs to come off the engine... so not the easiest thing to check.

Could it be a worn big end or main end bearing??

Piston slap ??

Is there an automatic adjuster for the valve clearance, maybe become defective/worn allowing too much clearance?

worn or broken valve spring?

Hope you sort it, thinkin bout u

lolx

so if i stick a piece of wood against my ear and move it along the cam covers. Fuk me, the neighbours are gone love this :)

i need a fag

really does sound like a cam area though, would that fit in with a shell issue?

yes that should amplify the noise and maybe you can locate it better.

btw Ive already had 3 fags

Rich

Thanks Linda :)

would anyone agree on any of those ideas?

not sure if i should drive it or not as i'm a fare distance from phoenix or turbofit.

Is there anyone localish that might be able to give an opinion?

Most are extremely rare on a 2JZ, the shells less so. A decent garage should be able to rule out most, but if its something internal you're looking at a longer garage visit.

Both Phoenix and Turbofit offer very reasonable cost pickup service (About £100 from Reading).