The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hi From A frustrated Celica owner

Guest BigG

Hi All,

I've been lusting after Supra's for years now but have had to settle for a 1992 Celica GT. Decided to join up and get the lay of the land before i start to convince the wife that we *really* need a supra lol.

Anyway, hopefully won't be long before I join the ranks and just remember to be nice to us lowly celica drivers!!!

i'm trying to figure out what i want N/A or TT...

my celica GT is 153 BHP (although i think some of the horses may not be at their prime...) so either represents a huge BHP leap...:D

I gather its pretty difficult to turbo a N/A at a later date so should i just plunge in and get the TT. What can be done to the N/A to give it a little lift?

Pete, if i saw supra's regularily where I am i would be waving like a mad man (possibly just to flag them down and ask for a ride!!!)

:hello: and :welcome:

BigG, I have an NA and l think after the celica you'l appreciate the power increase :p even though its only around 220bhp. tbh, the most extra ponies you can get out of an NA is upto about 240ish, a conversion to single (i'm looking to do that, as are a few others here :D ) would cost around £2.5K for a kit if you want to DIY, or around £4K if you want someone like Turbofit to do it. it can get you an increase to around 300bhp or 400ish bhp, depending on the kit and £ you put into it.

Can I suggest you get some supra owners locally to take you out and give you an idea of performance? Twin turbo's - standard or BPU - are different to single tubbies but a lot depends on your budget.

There are some excellent guides on the forum, on the home page. Have a look to get a feel and sort out a ride or two. They're a great bunch here, I'm sure some of 'em will be happy to take you out.

Good luck!

lolx

Linda

Hi dude,

I came from a st185 GT4 Celica to a N/A Supra and didn't regret it at all (although I always hankered for the turbo rush!!). Don't be fooled into thinking the N/A is a slow car - it aint!

What you really need to decide is if you want the power and expense of a TT - the modding route is a slippery slope (just have a look around here) whereas with an N/A you're pretty much stuck with what you got - although there's always a single tubby to save up for!

Good luck in your search mate :) :)

hmmm, food for thought maybe a N/A would be an easier upgrade (cheaper insurance - just) is there much diff in other running costs?

N/A will probably actually cost MORE to insure as they were only available as an import!! (mad as badgers eh?). It wouldn't be easier to upgrade - simple mods to the TT (BPU) can make a hell of a power hike possible for comparatively little cost.

I think that at the end of the day you need to work out what you ultimately want from the car - if you are a power hungry speed freak then the TT is definitely the one to go for. If on the other hand, you are willing to settle for good power still with the fantastic looks of a Supra and don't want to be forever worrying about what you can upgrade next then go for a N/A.

Easy decision :)

(not!!) LOL

I went from a 1991 Celica GT to my Supra SZ (n/a) and the change was well worth it. I drove my Celica for 6 years and loved it. I've had the Supra for 3 years and love it so much more and it's been just as reliable as the Celica. The costs of servicing etc haven't been much different. The cost of fuel is about a 3rd more with normal driving. The cost of insurance is about twice as much.

Hi and welcome..

Don't get sucked into the NA/TT differences if you can help it. They both have equal charm.

Something to bear in mind, if you do go NA with a turbo conversion is that your car won't be valued as much as a TT should you ever consider resale. That aside the NA-T is good upgrade.

The TT in itself is a lovely car esp with the extra grunt, however not always required.

Don't write off auto's either, there is plenty of info here on the auto box and it is a good option as well.

Take the time to explore both cars and gearboxes and make up your own mind.

Plenty of people here who sell GOOD quality supras such as CJ and Jurgen, might be worthwhile having a word with them to see what they currently have to offer from NA's to wild single conversions.

Ask questions and get plenty of info before you actually put pennies down.

Gav

I think it will probably come down to price when i'm ready to buy, wife permitting...

How old are you and what so you think your budget would be? Will you use it as a daily driver too?

I must admit that when I got my NA I was a little disappointed with the power. Now I have got used to it I feel it has more than enough power as you know how to get the best out of it. I was also worried that the repair bills for turbo's can be huge!

I think you've got to try a few and try the same spec but a different car. I test drove an NA in Cheshire and it was painfully slow. The NA I now have is much quicker but I think the huge exhaust makes a big difference compared to the stangling stock zaust!!

H.

I think i've created an enclave of closet celica drivers/owners lol:D

Havard: I'm 30 not sure of budget (prob 4-5k maybe a bit more) and yes would also be my daily driver...