The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Warm up / Cool down

cheekymonkey

Hi Guys

Didn't find a proper answer to this while searching the forums, but I need to ask one more newbie-ish question that's again quite likely to start a holy war or something.

My daily driver is a diesel audi and I am a firm believer in getting in the car, starting the engine immediately but obviously not hammering the engine until it's warm. Supe's may be a completely different kettle of fish...

Many of my friends which slightly higher perfoming cars tend to start the car and have a ciggy while it "warms up" before driving away. Is there any point to doing this or is it a waste of fuel?

Then on the other hand, what about cooling down - I know a turbo timer is a popular mod but is it really needed? What about just laying off the boost for the last few minutes of the journey?

start up and drive off mate, as you say just don't put the foot down until it's warmed up properly (i usually stay under 3k rpm).

as for cool down, if you coast the last few miles home off boost then there's actually no real reason to leave it running at all unless it's been running very hard and even then just a couple of minutes should do it.

I think it's possibly worth pointing out that although your water temp guage is reading normal...your oil may well still be cold.

best thing to do would be either wait a little longer to be safe or as a lot of owner's have, get an oil temp guage.

no need for that turbo timer junk just cruise home for last few miles.

Very true! :)

I think it's possibly worth pointing out that although your water temp guage is reading normal...your oil may well still be cold.

Definately, that's why I bought an oil temp gauge. :)

Like others i coast home for a good few miles to let the tubbies cool down after a blast in the supe but when i stop i normally light a fag and admire it for a few mins and leave on tickover as i was told the tubbies are still spinning.

As i live in one of them new housing estates (mazes) i have to drive back slowly keeping the boost guage under 0 but they will still spin up so i thought if i was to turn off the engine then they will still be going with no oil being pumped. This right?

As i live in one of them new housing estates (mazes) i have to drive back slowly keeping the boost guage under 0 but they will still spin up so i thought if i was to turn off the engine then they will still be going with no oil being pumped. This right?

Not quite sure what you're asking here mate. I'd have thought if you turned the engine off whilst costing home you won't have any oil being pumped and may not be able to steer? So long as you're not boosting I think the turbos will be cooling down OK.

tbh, I think this question dates back to a time when 'organic' oils were used and would have to warm for quite a while before reaching the correct viscosity to flow/travel round and lubricate/cool the necessary areas.

Wth semi or better still fully synthetic oils, viscosity is such that it starts its job far more quickly than organic oils.

my 2p worth ;)

Not quite sure what you're asking here mate. I'd have thought if you turned the engine off whilst costing home you won't have any oil being pumped and may not be able to steer? So long as you're not boosting I think the turbos will be cooling down OK.

Sorry. didnt mean i turned the engine off. Just put in nuetral and coast along.. so ticking over for a few miles but i have to go through the 1st 2 gears to get past the last few streets

What i was aimimng at do the turbos still spin for a few minutes even when keep the boost guage under 0. And when the carsb off theres not gona be any oil getting to the moving bits hense why i let it tick over for a few mins even once i have stopped.

Think Thats the best way i can describe itt.

Thanks

James

Too much Turbo Timer bashing here....I do find it very useful when stopping for petrol on the motorway, I have tried to ignore it and slow down at 1mi or 1.5mi before the services but, still need to wait while it counts down at the pumps, well, near the pumps anyway. So, for normal day to day stuff, yes, you don't need one as stated above but, I do find it helps me at the services as I have normally been driving for....1.5hrs ~2hrs at a nice pace :D

Driving back up north last night from Berkshire I had been going for 100 miles and ~1.xhours ;) and came up to the 5mi marker for the services on the M6 toll. I set my C/Control to 70mph and did that for the 5mi until the services. When I reached the car park, the turbo time still had ~1 min to go. It was showing ~2.5mins at the 5mi marker. So, you can see, just slowing down a mile or two before the petrol staiton is not always enough. Note: time of day/air temps was after midnight.

Driving back up north last night from Berkshire I had been going for 100 miles and ~1.xhours ;) and came up to the 5mi marker for the services on the M6 toll. I set my C/Control to 70mph and did that for the 5mi until the services. When I reached the car park, the turbo time still had ~1 min to go. It was showing ~2.5mins at the 5mi marker. So, you can see, just slowing down a mile or two before the petrol staiton is not always enough. Note: time of day/air temps was after midnight.

Ah but bear in mind that's your turbo timer telling you that. It has a vested interest in making itself look useful :)