The mkiv Supra Owners Club

T67 and Stock internals

wkdtime

I have noticed that the guys over the pond when running a T67 size turbo with a stage 1 fuel system (720 cc's min. twin pumps and rail) on a stock motor keep the boost down to 18 psi (1.2 bar) on pump fuel (UK 97 ron equivelant) and 1.4 Bar plus on Race fuel.

But over here we run most T67's with stock motors with stock rails and single pump's at 1.4 Bar with pump fuel.

The reason i have brought this up is that i'm aware that a few members here who have'nt come forward have toasted there engines when running T67's at 1.4 Bar, at the moment this is purely hearsay but it's been spreading for a while.

So is 1.4 Bar on stock internals with just about enough fuelling (rails, pumps, injectors) all that ok to run on a T67?

Im aware that alot of factors can also limit the min or max boost and also the condition of the engine and all supporting mods but this is just purely a general question.

Typical UK T67 set up (Basics)

720cc's injectors

Single Walbro

Stock fuel rail modded

1.4 Bar EMB min.

Typical US Set up (Basics)

800cc Injectors,

Twin intank walbro pumps

-10 AN High flow fuel rail

1.2 Bar Map ECU min.

Guys in the USA seem to adopt a 'Maybe Over kill' approach when it comes to fuelling (Pumps, lines, rails), and the guys here adopt an 'it's enough, we can mod that' approach.

Discuss.

pump fuel in the usa is also not 97/98 ron its more like 90-92 ron so it will not allow for as much boost unless they increase the octane or as you say race fuel

Are you sure about that? From what I understand their 92 Ron or watever it is, is the same octane level as our 97 Ron, they seem to calculate it a different way.

pump fuel in the usa is also not 97/98 ron its more like 90-92 ron so it will not allow for as much boost unless they increase the octane or as you say race fuel

No that's the wrong way around. Our 98/99RON fuel is about the same as their shittiest fuel, 90/92

It's to do with them using MON ratings or somesuch, I forget the details ATM

From what I understand there 92 Ron or watever it is, is the same octane level as our 97 Ron, they seem to calculate it a different way.
:yeahthat:

Yeah that's what i was thinking too. As Rob says the 67 to them is small. I love reading about the cars on stock fuelling and internals running T88's and the like :)

I stand corrected about the fuelling then :D

Ian's been telling me 1.4 is pushing it a little on a T67 and stock block. He's mentioned several times now that I should stick to 1.2bar.

The other thing of course is that 1.4bar is going to be a bit to powerful for 99% of road driving. Ian says he only ever used 1.4bar for 'silly stuff'.

Driving around today at just 0.9bar was scary enough, arse end was all over the place in the first 3 gears! Damn these cars are quick :eyebrows:

:eyebrows: cant wait :)

Same here, can't wait to get a proper map and see 1.2bar. Apparently the difference in power is enormous (180bhp more than I am at now :scare: ). I can't see how anyone would use more power on the road (at least not below 100mph!)

You can run 1.4bar if you map properly for it, timing and fueling need to be carefully monitored. It's all about how good the mapper is.

Ian seems to disagree on this point. It's confusing me slightly as he's been always talked about running 1.4bar on his car.

Still, the power at 1.2bar will be more than enough for now and it will give time to get used to the huge torque (which is far greater and far sooner than BPU). I'm sure wkdtime will feel the same. There's always the option of more power further down the line if it gets boring :D

Ian seems to disagree on this point. It's confusing me slightly as he's been always talked about running 1.4bar on his car.

Still, the power at 1.2bar will be more than enough for now and it will give time to get used to the huge torque (which is far greater and far sooner than BPU). I'm sure wkdtime will feel the same. There's always the option of more power further down the line if it gets boring :D

I hear you bud, 1.2 Bar and the T67 still kicks ya back in the seat with your kidneys firmly pushed to the back:D

Guys in the states have been tuning Supra's long before we have here and most will only run 1.2 Bar on a T67 with stock internals on pump fuel with the same if not higher octane level than the fuel we have here in the UK.

I don't know what he's been telling you. I think you can...but it does need timing control and a decent amount of fuel to stave off det.

Ian tends to err on the side of absolute caution, which is no bad thing.

From another site:

In most countries (including all of Europe and Australia) the 'headline' octane that would be shown on the pump is the RON: but in the United States and some other countries the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, sometimes called the "roaD Octane Number" or DON, or (R+M)/2. Because of the 10 point difference noted above this means that the octane in the United States will be about 5 points lower than the same fuel elsewhere: 87 octane fuel, the "normal" gasoline in the US and Canada, would be 92 in Europe.

Ian's been telling me 1.4 is pushing it a little on a T67 and stock block. He's mentioned several times now that I should stick to 1.2bar.

The other thing of course is that 1.4bar is going to be a bit to powerful for 99% of road driving. Ian says he only ever used 1.4bar for 'silly stuff'.

Driving around today at just 0.9bar was scary enough, arse end was all over the place in the first 3 gears! Damn these cars are quick :eyebrows:

Wish i could get wheel spinn , in 3rd gear.....only in the 2 first...

Stupid mapper....

// André

Wish i could get wheel spinn , in 3rd gear.....only in the 2 first...

Stupid mapper....

// André

I wish I couldn't get wheel spin in 3rd gear! Need to get the RLTC sorted out, 1st and 2nd are almost impossible even on part throttle it just sits there and spins if I'm not careful feeding the power in.

Guys in the USA seem to adopt a 'Maybe Over kill' approach when it comes to fuelling (Pumps, lines, rails), and the guys here adopt an 'it's enough, we can mod that' approach.

I would say for safety's sake the overkill option would be the one I would adopt for reliability and peace of mind

I wish I couldn't get wheel spin in 3rd gear! Need to get the RLTC sorted out, 1st and 2nd are almost impossible even on part throttle it just sits there and spins if I'm not careful feeding the power in.

Maybe i should pay for your plane ticket to sweden, and you can map my car :D

Or i send you my F-Con, and you map it for me...or your friends....hehe, since now im not happy at all....so far..

I will put my RLTC in , when the car is going like it should...

Stupid Sweden, hardly anyone close that can map supras..

// André