The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Stainless steel dials possible group buy...

Konrad

Hello all :)

I received today authorisation from super moderator Mawby to organise group buy of stainless steel dials (similiar to those made by metal monkey).

Almost 2 months ago I got inspired by Sheefa's group buy of speaker brackets and decided I will try to do something similiar. My choice is ss dials, as price of those here seems to be kinda high. As you all know, I'm from Poland and my g/f Jola is doing regular trips there from England in her own bussinesses.

Few weeks ago I asked in Parts Wanted section for original auto Supra dials and thanks to SatSport's generous decision I got them. Dials was sent to Poland, Jola took them 2 days ago to regional, professional company, who is cutting various metals using laser and projecting various metal things - including gauges and car dials.

Probably tommorow I will get answer about costs of doing those dials (there will be choice of what dials will be made from - ss, aluminium etc...).

This group buy is NON PROFIT which means I'm doing it, because it is, how club spirit should work, also because I have easy access to cheaper workforce and lower material costs.

Once project will be ready and prices given, I will order one set, which will be later send here. I will put it into my car, make pictures for forum purposes, also will invite member turbonut to make independent review.

This group buy is for dials only - it means - speedo, rev dial and fuel dial. If someone would like also ss dials located at odometer panel - I can do those too, but i will need to ask someone to send me original ones as a sample for company, who is doing my order (those will be returned once company will make computer project).

I expect price to be at least 1/3 lower than lowest one offered by metal monkey, if there will be better offer (as dials will go to few companies for valuation) I will choose this, which i will feel gives best combination of price/quality.

Money will be gathered once dials will be tested, reviewed, photographed etc etc. If one review will be not enough, I will prolly visit Stourbridge for more opinions ;) (Pete, Burma, Sheefa...)

Thank you

Konrad

True :) Right now guy from graphic projects finishing those dials, I should really mention that it will be pre-facelift now only. Difference between auto and manual dials are leds and gear marks down of rev dial and O/D off sign, which of course will be out at manual version. Is there any difference between TT and NA if it comes to speedo, rev or fuel gauge? Always thought those looks exactly the same. Project guy have original dials and pictures from this post:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showpost.php?p=1335754&postcount=14

as a base to project.

Ah and speedo is up to 180 mph, is there any need to make it 220 really? :O

i would be interested too will you need to remove the needles to fit???

I'm afraid that yes, I think Greg (Sheefa) did it and apparently it was not that bad at all.

...or maybe someone with experience in putting in ss dials can tell, if it is possible to put them on without taking off needles? I will be first to fit them onto my car anyway, so we will see :D

• 4 weeks later...

Time for little update so you people will know I did not forget about this. Jola sourced quite big manufacturer with laser machine, she is going through initial talks and projects, next week she should recevie first sets for auto and manual Supe to test (put on cars). She is going to visit me anyway any time next week, so hopefully she will bring those with her - if not, dials will be send to me by post.

Most important thing - price .... I expected that it will be around 50 pounds/set - I do not do any profit from those. Well, I'm happy to announce that I was mistaken :p

It is still talks phase, but seems that price will be anywhere between 30 - 35 pounds a set, which i think is pretty good ;)

Stay tuned for more info hehe

Konrad

Interested - but does anyone know if I can use the MPH dial face on my import by removing the converter from the signal (leaving the converter to work only on the odometer?) Will it read correctly or do I need a different speedo unit?

I hate the lack of movement on the kph converted speedo. :(

Interested - but does anyone know if I can use the MPH dial face on my import by removing the converter from the signal (leaving the converter to work only on the odometer?) Will it read correctly or do I need a different speedo unit?

I hate the lack of movement on the kph converted speedo. :(

Both are exactly the same mate it is just mph or km/h letters on the bottom of dial. Speed is converted by slowing down movement of speedo needle, but it is exatly the same - before converting it will be km/h, after - mph.

Both are exactly the same mate it is just mph or km/h letters on the bottom of dial. Speed is converted by slowing down movement of speedo needle, but it is exatly the same - before converting it will be km/h, after - mph.

So to clarify (sorry to be a noob!)... I think you're saying the needle position is identical on the uk and j-spec speedos and if I replace the 320km dial with a 180mph one (and remove the conversion) it'll read correctly?