The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Questions about auto box...

tichkent

...and before you ask I've read the FAQ :)

Was out for a spirited drive the other night and totally forgot I'd put the box down into "2" to force a kick down and kept on accelerating. Didn't notice the revs heading well into the red. However, at about 75 to 80 leptons the car started juddering forwards and backwards (a little bit like the brakes were being pumped). I'm assuming this is normal and is just the auto box protecting itself by limiting the revs? Seems a very odd form of limiting though if it makes the car feel totally unstable.

I'm also a bit surprised that I have to force the box to kick down all the time. If the car is going 50 leptons or more, it doesn't matter how hard I press the accelerator, it simply won't kick down into second itself and I have to resort to flicking to "2" (and then remembering to flick back up to "D" before red-lining!). Is this normal? I'd have thought that unless the box would already be at the red-line it would kick down?

And of course I know I'm a big blouser for not using manual mode all the time...

Sounds like you're not hitting the kickdown switch. You do realise you have to push down hard don't you? There are two kickdown switches, a gentle one, and a hard one like a Marshall Gov'nor stomp-pedal switch.

re the redline - sounds like you were hitting the rev limiter, which is normal, although I do remember Ian C's article saying that the box would change up to prevent you doing this (I'm sure mine just bounces off the limiter though.. perhaps that's only in MANU)

Wow - never noticed the big switch under the accelerator pedal before. Thought I was pressing the it right to the floor but evidently I was just going as far as the switch. Will be much more convenient than flicking the stick - one thing I love about the auto is the ability to keep my hands on the wheel :)

Thanks for the info!

Have fun with your new-found go pedal :cool: ! It seems to be wet all the time here, so when it is dry I always surprise myself over how quick she is when you kick-down at 50+leptons! Definitely an advantage to have your hands on the wheel at all times!

The other thing that surprises me is how much you have to stomp on the accelerator to get kick-down. I honestly can't understand how people can be "caught out" by kickdown when it's so obvious that you're telling the car "go, go, go, faster, now!!"

Wow - never noticed the big switch under the accelerator pedal before. Thought I was pressing the it right to the floor but evidently I was just going as far as the switch. Will be much more convenient than flicking the stick - one thing I love about the auto is the ability to keep my hands on the wheel :)

Thanks for the info!

You're welcome! It's always nice finding out about a feature you didn't know the car had - I was pleased to find the petrol cap holder on the back of the flap/cover the other day after reading a post on here :)

The other thing that surprises me is how much you have to stomp on the accelerator to get kick-down. I honestly can't understand how people can be "caught out" by kickdown when it's so obvious that you're telling the car "go, go, go, faster, now!!"

But the box will still change down a gear in other situations, just depending on load and speed or what you do with the accelerator. Kickdown just forces a hard downshift but the car will still go from third to second in other situations..

Sounds like you're not hitting the kickdown switch. You do realise you have to push down hard don't you? There are two kickdown switches, a gentle one, and a hard one like a Marshall Gov'nor stomp-pedal switch.

Dont hear about Marshall Guv'nor switches often emough. How many people here would know what one was?

I suppose it has a similar effect on the exhaust noise as it can have for a guitar. (everybody rushes off to google)

I was pleased to find the petrol cap holder on the back of the flap/cover the other day after reading a post on here :)

Huh? where?

The little hook on the back of the petrol flap door when you open it - it's for holding the petrol cap whilst you fill up ;)

Cheers,

Brian.

back in a sec im going to check it out :D

edit: done.. can you believe in over 2 years of supra ownership i still didnt realise that was there?!

Dont hear about Marshall Guv'nor switches often emough. How many people here would know what one was?

I suppose it has a similar effect on the exhaust noise as it can have for a guitar. (everybody rushes off to google)

Yeah. I used someone elses at school and it sounded so much better than the other Boss and Ibanez stuff that the other guys had, and my Zoom whatsit just had too many options ;)

I used to get the best sound by running my little Peavy 15w amp into the school's 200w Carlsbro keyboard amp :D

I haven't played guitar in ages though (not properly.. I have a dabble at some ballady Vai stuff (Sisters..) and on Amanda's acoustic every now and then but I either sold or gave away every guitar I've bought (some nice-ish ones too!).