The mkiv Supra Owners Club

mushroom filters are good or bad

morpheus1870

Whats the score with a hks mushroom filters/induction kit, are they any good? What kind of difference do they make to the cars breathing and can they cause any harm to the car?

I currently have one fitted to the car I'm buying (95 na manual), is it worth replacing for a standard unit? and if so where can i get one from?

Has anyone experimented with one of these inducion kits and what was your verdict?

Sorry if this has been posted in the past but I am a newbie lol

thanks all in advance

yeah go back to stock if you can, the hks ones are a bit crappy at filtration and let stones etc get by pretty easily. alternatives are the apexi and the blitz sus though which are good and sound very nice too.

On a NA i wouldn't be as worried as with a TT, they are not the best at filtering smaller particles than can cause damaged to the turbo's etc.. If I remember right, do a search and there is a thread with pics of tests of different filters and the HKS came out worst..

There was an old Jap review on the net that showed the HKS were crap at filtration as said above, the Apexi matched it in terms of airflow and destroyed it in terms of filtration - I replaced an HKS one for an Apexi in my old car.

Here is a usefull link to look at http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/ Iv had the apexi induction kit and the stock air box on and off to see which is best. I have a TT and with the induction kit I created 1psi extra boost but the intake temps have been recorded as high as around 60c (not by me but other members) so in theory the stock box will be alot better as it keeps temps down to about ambient (lower air temps=denser air=more power) so the cooler air should more than compansate for 1psi extra boost (I filed the rr anyway to create more boost with the stock box so Iv now got more boost with ambient intake temps, best of both worlds all from the stock box:) ) With you having a N/A it doesnt get quite as hot under the hood as their are no tubbies creating and giving off heat and the higher intake temps wont affect a N/A as much as a TT but from my own experience I would say the stock box is the way to go. Hope that helped

Thanks for that, clearly the apexi power intake is the clear winner. Now would i need simply the filter cone and just remove the current hks thing and replace directly or would i need the tubing as well?

When you buy the Apexi it will come as an induction 'kit' which means it will have all the fittings you require. Should be the thick pipe going into the mushroom that will be replaced as well but like I said it should be included in the kit

Gaz :)

When you buy the Apexi it will come as an induction 'kit' which means it will have all the fittings you require. Should be the thick pipe going into the mushroom that will be replaced as well but like I said it should be included in the kit

Gaz :)

Im selling an apexi induction kit in the for sale section. Its off my TT but Im sure they are exactly the same for the N/A http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=105483