The mkiv Supra Owners Club

if anyone is using J-spec headlights......

Solid Snake

I urge you to upgrade as soon as.

Fitted mines (UK Spec) at the weekend with the Phillips Xennon bulbs and have just came in from testing them in the dark. What an amazing difference. Well worth the £310 icl. bulbs I paid, for the safety side, never mind looking better.

If you can afford `em, get `em:thumbs:

Andy

totally agree mate, i've had glass headlights with Philips and now got facelift lights. HID's next me thinks:)

I had HIDs on my Lexus and to be honest, wouldn`t say they were any better than I have now.

I thought about that route this time but couldn`t be arsed with additional work. UK lights and and bulbs......straight out, straight in.:) 15 minute job.

I do like the clear look of the glass lens, but the backs make the car look dated IMO. I WILL be installing some soon, but will be repainting the backs.

Abflugs, with the facelift lens & HIDs is the way to go. Not cheap though at £600+

Guest gzaerojon
I do like the clear look of the glass lens, but the backs make the car look dated IMO. I WILL be installing some soon, but will be repainting the backs.

Abflugs, with the facelift lens & HIDs is the way to go. Not cheap though at £600+

or best of both? i'll be doing myself a set of these, facelift inserts can be retrofitted into uks ;p

Guest gzaerojon
Thanks. So they have clear shiny glass and a slightly different internal plastic moulding. Does not having any pattern on the glass affect the beam or legally of them?

the lens is actually perspex, the pattern is ok as long as facelift lights are used for the conversion as the reflectors have the pattern built in to the reflectors :)

Thanks. So they have clear shiny glass and a slightly different internal plastic moulding. Does not having any pattern on the glass affect the beam or legally of them?

The pre-facelift has a beam pattern on a plastic cover (Plastic so its fades)

Similarly the UK Spec has a beam pattern on a Glass lens (Which does not fade)

The facelift has the beam pattern integrated into the lamp itself, and none on the lens (Which will not fade so much, but will mean a much smoother lookinh headlight)

The Abflug has the facelift back & lens, but a completely smooth cover. Looks very nice indeed, but costs a lot to do. It also has an insert within the light itself

I totally agree too. I went from 13 year old Jspecs to fully facelifted UK glass with HIDs!!! Amazing results lol...

I made the same changes and can agree to that statement 100% because the difference is night and day (no pun intended). :cool:

Right now I have plastic jspec headlights but with 100watt blue xeon bulbs on dip, main beam and front fogs- compared with the standard set up it its a massive improvement- not in the league of HIDs off course, but on full beam it is impressive all I paid was the upgrade on the bulbs.

Mike

Right now I have plastic jspec headlights but with 100watt blue xeon bulbs on dip, main beam and front fogs- compared with the standard set up it its a massive improvement- not in the league of HIDs off course, but on full beam it is impressive all I paid was the upgrade on the bulbs.

Mike

I would strongly urge you NOT to run higher wattage bulbs on the factory harness. If you upgrade the harness to higher gauge wire then that's fine but the factory harnesses were not designed to run that much power and can melt if they overheat. Best case scenario you get saved by a fuse but I've seen several cars totaled from running higher wattage bulbs than stock which caused engine fires that destroyed the vehicle.

I'm not saying that it's likely to happen but it's not worth chancing to save a few bucks IMO.

that looks very nice...can you supply the facelift inserts if i sent u UK lights? or if u can supply me a set of the facelift inserts I can have them made in plastic pretty cheap (carbon fibre might be an option) so everyone can have the conversion done :)

or best of both? i'll be doing myself a set of these, facelift inserts can be retrofitted into uks ;p

[qimg]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g151/combijon/ukfaceliftconversion001.jpg[/qimg]

I would strongly urge you NOT to run higher wattage bulbs on the factory harness. If you upgrade the harness to higher gauge wire then that's fine but the factory harnesses were not designed to run that much power and can melt if they overheat. Best case scenario you get saved by a fuse but I've seen several cars totaled from running higher wattage bulbs than stock which caused engine fires that destroyed the vehicle.

I'm not saying that it's likely to happen but it's not worth chancing to save a few bucks IMO.

Just what I thought this morning when I was out shopping.

Looking into running a direct feed from the battery and using a relay triggered by the existing wiring. May be a little tedious but now that smoking is going to be banned its probably wise.