The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wheels... out of the frying pan...

Gerry

You may remember the big bling 19" chromes I replaced recently with Rota GTR's, the only offset they do for the rears is 30 and they rubbed on the arch (this was after assurances from Rota that they wouldn't) :(

Not wanting to risk having the arches rolled on my P&J I decided to swap them and got some Ultralight Atec 11 (new out this year) after assurances from Ultralight that they would not rub (ET35) and would fit over UK brakes I find that they don't rub - but don't fit over big brakes :(

Now have a 3mm spacer (hubcentric on order).

So beware...

Rota GTR's will rub the rear arches on stock suspension and

Ultralight Atec 11's won't clear UK brakes.

Will keep them on until I can afford some Volks...:)

G

PS.. after I had the problem with the Rota's I PM'd a few others with this and they all had the same.

IMG_1303.JPG

IMG_1329.JPG

Bloody hell G ! should have stuck with the bling tastic ones, at least they worked :D

ps. may come to SEM on saturday - poss meet up with you, Sue, Katie & Laz for the drive down ??

Thats what Soo said (although not that kindly) !

That would be great, the guy who bought our last Supe is saying he's coming as well - convoy of 4 ....:)

I've just got Rota's on mine (standard UK suspension) and they rub on the offside rear and nearside front occasionally. The nearside rear has just had a new shock and spring and is absolutely fine so I'm thinking a new shock and spring the other side will solve the problem.

I'm loathed to go to lowered stiffer springs on my car as the exhaust hangs low enough already and my town has speed humps everywhere :(

NEVER buy ANY wheels unless you can try them on YOUR car, over YOUR brakes, with the tyres fited you intend to run. OR, you KNOW they will fit from direct word of mouth from someone with the EXACT same rims and tyres over the exact same brakes you have. If ordering custom rims and the makers don't insist on having front and rear hub and brake assemblies to work from expect they WON'T fit. You are entering a minefiled!!!

This is a bit of a sore subject for me.

We got Rotas because we were also told that there was no problem with them on the Supra. However after we fitted them we found that they rubbed as well. So rather than rolling the arches we down-sized the tyre and now have the stretched look.

Although the alloys do look nice on the supe the stretched tyres just spoils it for me.:(

NEVER buy ANY wheels unless you can try them on YOUR car, over YOUR brakes, with the tyres fited you intend to run. OR, you KNOW they will fit from direct word of mouth from someone with the EXACT same rims and tyres over the exact same brakes you have. If ordering custom rims and the makers don't insist on having front and rear hub and brake assemblies to work from expect they WON'T fit. You are entering a minefiled!!!

Fair comment Chris...

Although in my defence I did buy them from a trader on here who is reconed to be the best "wheel man" (and a nice guy too) and (not trusting anybody) rang the UK suppliers to check they would be OK.

I also checked for "Rota" posts before I bought, and nobody mentioned that they had problems (until I PM'd them afterwards).

Saying all that your advice is good...

Cheers

G

Although in my defence I did buy them from a trader on here who is reconed to be the best "wheel man" (and a nice guy too) and (not trusting anybody) rang the UK suppliers to check they would be OK.

I also checked for "Rota" posts before I bought, and nobody mentioned that they had problems

Same as with mine, so thought it was a safe bet. Although thinking about it, I think the other members all have aftermarket springs which I don't. Thought that would make it more likely not to rub, but I guess the springs have gone a bit soft over time.

Fair comment Chris...

I also checked for "Rota" posts before I bought, and nobody mentioned that they had problems (until I PM'd them afterwards).

Saying all that your advice is good...

Cheers

G

We did exactly the same checks and sent days doing so, so we had no reason to question. I take on board Chris's comments of Try first but the problem with most of the wheels nowadays is that they are generally mail order and therefore unable to try before you buy.