The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Quiet and straight rear exhaust recommendation

supRo

Hi,

Call me an old man but I'm after a very quiet rear exhaust and it must also be straight, parallel to the car sides. I currently have an old HKS Hiper which is very loud and also angled so it doesn't go too well with my trial rear bumper.

I don't want to lose performance if possible. I can't afford a titanium exhaust. I have done some research and here is a list of quiet rear exhausts. There is conflicting information on the HKS Hi-Power silent, some say it's quiet and some say it's loud!

My car is BPU and I have 3" de-cats. Which one would you say is fairly quiet and straight?:

HKS Hi-Power silent

Tanabe medalion Touring

Tanabe super hyper medallion

Fujitsubo

Apexi n1 evo

Mongoose

Trust Power Extreme II

What about the stock back box - will it increase back pressure/temps too much?

Thanks,

Ro

Ro, I've just fitted a GReddy Ti-R, at tickover and trundling along off boost it is relatively quiet, has a really good sound to it though on boost. It's 100% titanium, well made and the tail pipe exits straight.

Here's a quick video clip

I have a TRD system on mine,fit is as you would expect perfect,exit angle is straight and it is quiet.:)

On tick-over there is a burble sort of sound,but thats about it.

I would recommend this one as I dont think a noisy exhaust suits the Supra,and yes you can call me old too!!;)

I think I know which exhaust to go for:

Not the nicest sounding but it is quiet!

http://www.tanabe-usa.com/exhausts/medaliontouring.asp

Sound clips:

Outside Car - No Load >(2.64mb) http://www.tanabe-usa.com/soundclips/supra_out_tour.wmv

Inside Car - No Load > (3.55mb) http://www.tanabe-usa.com/soundclips/supra_inups_tour.wmv

Driving Car - Under Load >(3.57mb) http://www.tanabe-usa.com/soundclips/supra_inupd_tour.wmv

The exhaust looks straight - can anyone confirm?

Thanks,

Ro

• 2 months later...

I was well after a newer Hyper..........but just had the whole pipe section replaced on mine as the box was fine still, and couldnt justify spending that on an exhaust for a new one, and werent any second Hypers around.......

Typical, its a bus situation aint it.... :D

nic, that greddy ti is very :cool: and sounds excellent.....you have to love the trademark sound of titanium lol!

I'd forgotten I'd posted that, the GReddy exhausts are very good quality, I chose the Ti-R because it is one of the very few actual road legal exhausts in terms of noise levels.

Saying that when the wastegate opens, it become offensively un-road legal :diablo:

Hi,

Call me an old man but I'm after a very quiet rear exhaust and it must also be straight, parallel to the car sides. I currently have an old HKS Hiper which is very loud and also angled so it doesn't go too well with my trial rear bumper.

I don't want to lose performance if possible. I can't afford a titanium exhaust. I have done some research and here is a list of quiet rear exhausts. There is conflicting information on the HKS Hi-Power silent, some say it's quiet and some say it's loud!

My car is BPU and I have 3" de-cats. Which one would you say is fairly quiet and straight?:

HKS Hi-Power silent

Tanabe medalion Touring

Tanabe super hyper medallion

Fujitsubo

Apexi n1 evo

Mongoose

Trust Power Extreme II

What about the stock back box - will it increase back pressure/temps too much?

Thanks,

Ro

I was told that Tanabe Medalion Touring is very quiet.

EDIT: Too late. ;)