The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Worlds WORST Restrictor Ring? In my Car!

Sheefa

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can only imagine that the previous twathead owner fitted it. However, I'd like to add that SURELY someone must of spotted this before, especially being BPU (well ish, this one was only 34mm so stock!) and the car wasn't boosting right! It had been to Phoenix Motorsport and Chris'. I'm mightily fecked off!

I'm keeping it though so if I do ever meet the previous owner again, this will be going right up his own bloody arse.

However, I'd like to add that SURELY someone must of spotted this before, especially being BPU (well ish, this one was only 34mm so stock!) and the car wasn't boosting right! It had been to Phoenix Motorsport and Chris'. I'm mightily fecked off!

ok it was at turbo fit to look at the turbo seals...hence they took off the decats and stumbled across this........

it wasn't spotted by the other mechanics as they did other work to your car that did not (as far as i can see from searches) require the removal of the decats..........

ok it was at turbo fit to look at the turbo seals...hence they took off the decats and stumbled across this........

it wasn't spotted by the other mechanics as they did other work to your car that did not (as far as i can see from searches) require the removal of the decats..........

Scooter, you have something there but also don't.

I was having boosting issues anyway with the Turbos not going above stock boost despite ramping up the settings on my boost controller. I'm pretty sure I've had them since I got the car. The car also had a badly damaged fuel pump casing which was causing it to run lean too - another thing that 'should' of been spotted.

Surely when you take a car out o a boost and fuel run and realise the turbos aren't boosting properly this is a sign of other problems.:search:

Is this why you have stopped promoting Chris?

No and Yes to be fair mate. No, because I know Chris has done a sterling job on my car and I can't really fault him at all. He's once of the most, if not the most, expert members on the forum.

Yes though because this was quite a simple error that has gone unseen, along with the damaged fuel pump, and I was hoping he would of picked up on it. However, other circumstances may have affected the problem, smaller restrictor ring meaning stock boost, good AFRs maybe instead of the ighly lean ones on BPU 1.2 bar which alerted Greg @ Turbofit to the fuel problem.

Even now I find the oil in my car has been overfilled though by Turbofit a good 1 - 1.5cms above the Full level which could be causing the massive smoking issues, and they are pretty big, at the mo - maybe not.

I'm quite frankly bemused at the errors I'm having to KEEP paying to rectify, some very simple and some actually caused by garages themselves.:search:

I'm looking to take Rich's (TrickTT) approach in future when I learn more about the car. Do it yourself - at least you know what HAS and HASN'T been done and you're the ONLY one to blame. :)

Sorry for the rant guys, but after spending £5.5k now in 8 months and my car's still not running well at BPU, I'm naturally fecked off. :(

Surely when you take a car out o a boost and fuel run and realise the turbos aren't boosting properly this is a sign of other problems.:search:

i agree its a sign of problems but in all honesty a car with a double decat is not likely to have such a small restrictor ring.....

.....imo it would be well down the list of possible causes.

This could just as easily be (if you had a regular ring) a "Pheonix / Chris charged me for taking off my Decat pipes when searching for my boost leak why did they bother when i've got a double decat?" thread......

Since buying my car I have never checked if I have a restrictor ring. How can you tell (if indeed you can ? )

where exactly is it positioned?

If you're running BPU Mark and boosting to 1.2 bar without any smoke, I wouldn't worry. I wasn't though.

It's just before the second decat pipe I think but someone will confirm mate.

Sorry for the rant guys, but after spending £5.5k now in 8 months and my car's still not running well at BPU, I'm naturally fecked off. :(

thats fair enough mate............so would i be...........

one thing at a time though get the oil level down and go from there :)