The mkiv Supra Owners Club

tyres

grahamc

What tyres do you use, what size are they and what do you think of them?

Currently looking at some new wheels and will obviously need some decent rubber to go with them. New wheels will be 18s...

I currently have 17s (clear UK brakes) on the car, and want to keep them for track, drag, etc. What would be best for these?

In SA I used to run bridgestone S02... What are the toyos like?

Bridgestone Potenza are good for street, id go with toyo R888 for the track wheels

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=104246&highlight=potenza

useful thread, how did I miss that? :blink:

Yeah, if you're gettting tyres purely for track/drag use go for something like Toyos, Pirelli Corsas etc

idea is to keep the current 17s for drag and track.

They are soft so will wear quicker than tyres like Corsas or Cups, but you get more grip in the dry as a result. I've done 2 x 1/2 day track days so far and theres still plenty of grip left, plus I've had them on the car since October and have put on over 1k road miles on them also.

They are soft so will wear quicker than tyres like Corsas or Cups, but you get more grip in the dry as a result. I've done 2 x 1/2 day track days so far and theres still plenty of grip left, plus I've had them on the car since October and have put on over 1k road miles on them also.

Hmmm, seems "do-able".

what happens to them when it rains??

Toyo's R888 is great for track days, but.. every stone on the street will stick to the tires and will hit the inside of the fender, a lot of noise.

I see...

And what about the road tyre options?? Potenza?? Toyos?? I doubt I will be doing much driving a year, and very little in the winter.

I dont get noise from stones on the road.. you must be on some really shitty tracks or something. You get tyre noise but thats because of the tread design.

And yes, they're not good in the wet, but are fine unless you're pushing it.

Gaz is also correct re: aquaplaning.. they're designed to be track tyres that you can drive on the road (ie get too and from a track) , not to be used for daily drving, however I've had no problems with mine (on the road) even in the pissing rain.

for regular road tyres i would definately reccomend pirelli p-zero rosso they are so smooth to drive on regular roads and at very high speeds :D

I'll have to see how the R888's go, as I use toyo/falkens for road use at the moment.

Graham - I use 235/40/18 (toyo T1R ) and 265/35/18 (Falken FK451 )... Falkens are a little hard, but very good for the money and the toyos are great for a little more. The combination works well as the harder rears are a good reminder in the dry that I'm breaking traction !

Haven't tried the Rosso's yet - but they're on the list to try soon as others have also commended their use.

I dont get noise from stones on the road.. you must be on some really shitty tracks or something. You get tyre noise but thats because of the tread design.

... so would a stone driveway mean you end up with 'fred flinstone' wheels by the time you get off the drive :blink: ?

Maybe when you get back from a long drive and they warm up a bit :) Not when they're cold. I wouldnt recommend them as daily driver tyres as you're basically racing slicks with grooves in... so dont expect to have the comfort (noise due to tread pattern), wear rate and wet performance like normal road tyres. But if you're not driving far they should be fine :)

Maybe when you get back from a long drive and they warm up a bit :) Not when they're cold. I wouldnt recommend them as daily driver tyres as you're basically racing slicks with grooves in... so dont expect to have the comfort (noise due to tread pattern), wear rate and wet performance like normal road tyres. But if you're not driving far they should be fine :)

Ahh - fair point ...

The only thing in the car for comfort is the recaros !

Thanks Bobbeh.

Are you driving down on them Robbie? or do you have another set to swap with? :) I want to take them to the ring, they'd be awesome. The P-Zeros I had were great and I got around 9 mins flat with those, so these tyres would scrub off loads more time :)

Graham - don't think anyone has actually even mentioned this yet!

GoodYears matey, the GDS3s, although think they have a new improved version now. They're known to suit the Supra perfectly, even Mr CW says so, they're fantastic tyres.

I have Pirelli P-Zeros on at the moment and I'll be changing them soon and going to the Goodyears.

Falkens 452s are good too :)