The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Big turbo setups

Guest Supeara

Guest Supeara

Right i have a few bob ready for spending, I'm after more power..

Looked at going down the big turbo road (T78). however i've seen these American packs where everything comes with it (injectors/pump/turbo manifold etc) are these any good, good turbo life etc

Should i go Trust T78 kit with 550ccs + Big core intercooler + Remap? would that be safe?

My TT is pretty much standard performance wise just now..

Guest Supeara
Dont need a big turbo for that, something like a PHR Stage 1 or a GT35 would do the job and give nice spool and oodles of torque.

Whats involved with that size of turbo, other parts wise?

The most important thing to consider is what you're going to be using the car for. If its going to be used as a road car you're going to be looking for a smaller, fast spooling turbo. The big turbo's are best left to the drag cars. Also, don;t get stuck into the US idea of big turbo's most of their cars would be useless on British roads, we don;t have the miles and miles of huge straight roads they have!

Also, do you mean a Greddy T78? They're a bit old hat now, there's much more modern, faster spooling turbo's around.

The injector size you mention is far too small for anything bigger than a T61 on low boost (less than 1.2bar). You'll also need a hell of a lot more mods than you listed!

Whats involved with that size of turbo, other parts wise?

Here's the parts list for my turbo conversion (and this was a budget one!)

Engine components Cost

XS power kit £599.00

BL T67 dbb Turbo £900.00

AEM Air filter £40.00

BL oil kit £120.00

BL IC pipe £30.00

Blitz SBC ID-III BC £330.00

O2 flange £15.00

Nuts and bolts for T4 flange £10.00

PCV filter £12.00

Replacement water feed hose £9.92

4in silicon hose 120deg bend £52.95

M14 copper washer (x3) £0.39

1/2in braided hose (1m) £21.06

-10 hose finisher (x2) £11.70

1/4in braided hose (2m) £11.19

Steel tee piece 3/8in push on £5.29

Steel tee piece 3/16in push on (x3) £8.21

Hose support 0.25 ID (x4) £3.62

Hose support 0.44 ID (x4) £3.90

Hose support 1.13 ID £1.19

3/8in braided hose (2m) £13.42

Steel -8 x M14x1.5 adaptor (x2) £5.55

Alu -8 x M14x1.5 adaptor (x2) £6.42

Aeroquip 90deg -8 swivel (x3) £71.80

Exhaust Wrap (4m) £6.53

Aeroquip 90deg -4 swivel £17.77

Aeroquip -4/-3 adaptor £4.04

1/8nptf 90 deg fitting for 1/4in hose £3.29

Thinkauto postage costs £23.50

20mm Jubilee clips (x10) £6.00

Metal tie wraps free!

Fabric heat wrap free!

Exhaust Flexi pipe £50.00

3in-2.5in silicon adaptor £20.00

2.5in silicon pipe £20.00

HKS aluminium flange £25.00

Greddy 3 Row FMIC £900

Aeromotive FPR £120

Drivetrain

Kevlar clucth £450

Stock flywheel £250

Fitting £200

Fabrication costs

Manifold wastegate adaption £20.00

Downpipe adaptions (3 times!) £60.00

Filter intake cutting and filling £20.00

IC pipe flange & cutting £30.00

Screamer pipe adjustement £20.00

Adaptor Compressor housing £20.00

Fueling and ECU

Emanage Blue £150.00

Fields Harness £175.00

Connectors for EMB wiring £13.00

Power enterprise 800cc injectors £450.00

Mapping £300.00

Gauges

AFR Gauge £180

Greddy Boost gauge £120

Service items

Oil filter £7.38

10 litres Toyota Red coolant £30.50

Oil drain plug gasket £0.78

6 litres Silkone ProS 15w50 £55.00

Gasket paste £4.00

Other items

3inch 2nd decat £100

Boostlogic 4inch cat back £400

Total: £6552 (Not including labour)

This is witrhout touching the bottom end or head. If you're going for more than 600bhp (450-500ibft) then you should rebuild the bottom end, so an extra £4-5k

Good one Homer, I have quite a lot of the things on your list, cept went for the AEM system. Concise list, thanks

No problem.

With hindsight, I should have gone with the AEM too. It's worth spending that extra money for all those extra features.

If you are planning to convert to a single turbo, the first thing I would do as Homer says, is ask yourself, what you will be using the car for and what are your aims? This will then be a starting point to then do your research and find out what parts you will need to achieve this.

Most, if not all of the Japanese kits are more aimed towards bigger power figures. The T78 is one of the smaller kits available, but as said is quite a few years old now and there are more upto date options available out there now.

In terms of a good street kits, then I would look at the following US options, all of which use quality components which are tried and tested.

Boost Logic T61 or T67

Power House Racing Street kit

Power House Racing Stage 1 or 2 Kit

Or you could put together you own kit, which is what I've just done, mine is a mix of Japanese and US parts using a Garret GT3582R turbo.

There is also alot more to consider than just which kit to get, there are a LOT of supporting mods that are needed to do the job properly. eg. fueling, ECU, cooling, Intercooler, clutch, brakes, suspension, LSD, RLTC, gauges, tyres, etc.

If you are starting with a stock Supra, then you should budget for a minimum of around £10K+ to do the job properly. It all adds up and the more research and planning you do, the less suprises you will get down the line.

I would also start off by making sure your engine and other parts you will be using are in good working order. No point fitting a kit, then finding out that your stem seals are leaking, compression is not as it should be, your radiator is knackered (this one caught me out this week :(), etc.

Sorry for hijack but are you getting your Pm's Nic

Hi Alan

Yes sorry, I've been running around trying to sort my car out over the last few days and got behind with my corresondence. It's going up for 2am now here, so my brain isn't in work mode at the moment. I'll get back to you tomorrow if that is okay.

cheers

well, 450 is reachable with the standard(ish) turbo setup. Really comes down to your aim (asked before) and your budget.

I am following this path for my car:

Hybrid turbos

HKS fuel system

FMIC

HKS 264/264 cams

HKS Clutch and flywheel

Induction

Exhaust

LINK ECU

Still busy with the install, but should be done in the next 2 weeks or so...

F U C K.

M E.

That's for Qty1 is it?

Why so expensive?

Yep, thats for 1. I nearly hit the floor when the guy game me the price!

It was more than the going rate (Thinkauto are not good for silicon hoses), but I still can't find them for too much less. I think it was expensive as it wasn't just the bend, but had a good 10inches of pipe either side (After I cut the pipe down I resold these for £12 each, so its didn't work out so bad!)

....waits for someone to post a link with them for a tenner.... :p

Would you still go with the 67 turbo with the same hindsight? You happy with the result?

I've not actually driven it in anger yet so it's a bit early to say whether it was the right choice. It was frighteningly quick when the turbo spooled even with the base map, to be honest I think it might be a bit too powerful for a daily driver.

If I were doing it again I would certainly give more thought to the PHR/BL T61.