The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How many miles is too many?

cheekymonkey

Hi All

Not to start a flamewar or anything here, but I am possibly picking up a 1995 Supe that's done about 73k miles.

From reading the wonderful guides on here I might be heading towards problems at 80k with valve stem seals etc. It's going to be a weekend car with the odd track day if I am very lucky...

I know I can't possibly know the history of the engine but would appreciate any comments you guys may have.

Last older car I bought was a 1998 Audi with 150k on the clock which was nothing for a TDi :)

I love this forum - thanks for the quick reply, that's kind of what I was expecting.

Course the problem is not being able to be sure of the history but sure as hell I'll be looking after it.

The car I will be hopefully buying would have just been driven about 120 miles to where we are meeting so if it's still in one piece after that then confidence will be high.

Can't do a cold engine smoke test though - is that a problem?

Buying any car supra or nay with these sort of miles you have to budget for quite a few things when you buy it. First thing is a cambelt unless there is absolute rock solid proof its been done recently. I'd change out the oils, plugs and other service items as well (you'll be hitting circa £500 if you have to pay labour for all this). You get alot more peace of mind buying a forum known car. The valve stem seals in the grand scheme of things isn't that expensive compared to other expensive things that can go wrong. People often forget when budgeting for a car like this what other costs are involved. Merely buying the car is the least of your worries :)

Guest Dave J

Most Toyotas are pretty bullit proof, i sell Jap imports and get very little trouble with Supras unless there is obvious neglect. Have a good look over the car, is it clean / tidy / free from ciggy burns and damaged trim?? I know it's not a cast iron guide but if the car looks generally cared for then you should be fine :D

Dave.

I'll be taking the forum guide to buying a supra with me and will run through that.

I do plan on doing the servicing myself, maybe even the bigger jobs if I get the time - I've done cambelt changes on a couple of cars before, so not afraid of getting my hands dirty.

Any that's a great bit of reassurance thanks... just dying to get started now.

James

I'll be taking the forum guide to buying a supra with me and will run through that.

I do plan on doing the servicing myself, maybe even the bigger jobs if I get the time - I've done cambelt changes on a couple of cars before, so not afraid of getting my hands dirty.

Any that's a great bit of reassurance thanks... just dying to get started now.

James

Ah thats good. Dare I say it alot of the younger folk joining the fold aren't as aware of the running costs of vehicles of this type. Hence why there are more and more knackers appearing over time. Alot of supras aren't the spring chickens they were when I first started looking, the oldest ones are 14 years old now. That said for their generation they are proving more reliable than their predecessors in their old age and way better than most of their counterparts. For what its worth if you don't mind a bit of spannering and fettling you won't go far wrong with a 95 motor. If you prefer a more trouble free existence up your budget a small amount for a facelift model.

For what its worth if you don't mind a bit of spannering and fettling you won't go far wrong with a 95 motor. If you prefer a more trouble free existence up your budget a small amount for a facelift model.

'95 it is then. Gives me an excuse to sort out my garage since I moved house recently and everything's still boxed up.

Looking forward to becoming a regular here... :)

Is it better, in your opinion to get a stock car and mod yourself, or buy one that's already had work done? I can see plus and minus points for both... but a lot of cars on pistonheads and indeed this forum and of course already been stage 1 at least...

It really does depend upon who has done the work. Ask around there are recent horror stories involving dodgy fuel pump fits and undersized exhaust restrictors almost causing a guy to sell his woeful car on. Buying BPU from the forum performed by a reapected member or trader here is no guarantee as no such thing in this world exists but its as close as you will get.

Hi there i have a 94 n/a its currently got 218000km on it and the only problem iv had (albeit a nasty one)was the bottom crank pulley sheared off whilst overtaking a bus in 3rd gear at 6000rpm took out the main drive belt then went through the viscous fan and damaged the radiator.Shes fixed now and running sweet as a nut again not burning oil or using water in fact the oil never actualy seems to get that dirty still gold at oil change time so aslong as the cars been loooked after i dont think you have to worry about the milage.

Hi there i have a 94 n/a its currently got 218000km on it and the only problem iv had (albeit a nasty one)was the bottom crank pulley sheared off whilst overtaking a bus in 3rd gear at 6000rpm took out the main drive belt then went through the viscous fan and damaged the radiator.Shes fixed now and running sweet as a nut again not burning oil or using water in fact the oil never actualy seems to get that dirty still gold at oil change time so aslong as the cars been loooked after i dont think you have to worry about the milage.

That happened on wsb2's na as well.