The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Removing rear caliper help

silvershark44

The handbrake pads are probably clamped in place.

First release the handbrake and see if that helps.

Then prise out the little rubber plug from the hub face and rotate the hole to six-oh-clock. Shine a small torch in the hole and you should see a ratchet sprocket thingy which you can turn with a small flat-bladed screwdriver - turn it all the way one way to loosen the pads, all the way the other to tighten. You'll know if you're going the wrong way if you can't spin the disc.

When the pads are fully retracted, the disc should come off in your hand.

I told you - rotate the disc so the hole you can see at about 10-oh-clock in picture 1 is at about 6-oh-clock, then carry on as I posted earlier.

You do not need to try to unbolt the hub. That's totally unrelated to removing the disc.

There should also be a couple of threaded holes in the front face of the disc, you'll need a couple of bolts the right size.

When you put them in make sure you alternately tighten them a little at a time, this will push off the disc.

p.s. if you don't do what Ark suggests you could damage the handbrake mechanism if you remove the disc by force.

Also what size bolts do you suggest for the holes?

It's either M6 or M8, I can't remember.

If you haven't got any spare bolts then just tap the back of the disc with a hammer , but use a piece of wood or plastic to soften the blow.

It's important that you wind back the little sprocket first though.

Right!!!!!!!!!!!

We have done it!! Many thanks to you all! I am quite a technically minded guy, but when you havent done it before, sometimes doesnt make a lot of sense.

But all sorted now and makes so much sense!!!

On a different note, it appears my handbrake shoes were sticking causing the noise in the thread below. Unfortunately this is the first chance ive had since then to sort it!

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=100038&highlight=strange+noise

So many thanks to you all, as i booked the car into the garage next week to have a drive shaft changed because they said it was that causing the noise!

Guess i can cancel that now!!

Yeah it wasnt them. Test spinning the hub seemed fine. But as soon as we put it all back together, the problem was still there!!!!!!!!!!!!

So back to square one.......

So we jacked both rear wheels up and had a damn good look at everthing under the car. There was absolutely no play in the drive shaft or anything, and everything looked brand new under there.

Then I noticed the caliper on the suspect wheel was vibrating and also the wheel was spinning slower on one side then the other, basically the LSD responding to drag in the wheel. A closer inspection revealed that the cause of the noise is a warped brake disk!!

Basically everytime it rotates it catches on the caliper. So we seem to have solved it now!

took us long enough lol..........:D

• 2 years later...