The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Intro

cheekymonkey

Hi Everyone

Am picking up my Supra on Saturday (hopefully!) It's a TT Manual (RZ)... first Supra but I have been driving a Skyline GTS-T for a while. Took me a while to decide to go for a Supra instead of a GTR. Hopefully made the right choice!

My first initial query to the group is if anyone knows of a place to go to get some basic practice or training handling the car - I obviously have some RWD experience with the Skyline but still am at the stage where I am paranoid about cornering and take things really easy... and I believe the only way to learn how to control a fishtailing car is by practise!

I'm based in Wiltshire.

Cheers :)

Welcome:D

I live in Stoke-on-Trent Staffs and would like to do exactly the same just to get some practise as its been so long since I had a rear wheel drive car ( 3ltr Capri back in the 80s)

You cannot go to supermarket car parks really as the police are watching out for the chavs in there Corsas all the time.

We could do with going to a skid pan the same as the police practise that way you can practise as slow speeds.

Good luck

Welcome... :)

We (Soo an me) did a skid pan course on Saturday at Castle Combe.

Was great fun, learned a bit, but would only be of very little help if the Supe went AWOL.

Ash on here did organise a handling day a while back which sounds just right (and fun) there was talk of another.

I'll try to find the link and his details...

Where abouts in Wilts ?

We are in Westbury / Warminster !

Cheers

Gerry

Hello all!

Well I'm in Swindon, and have actually just been looking at the skid pan at castle combe:

http://www.combe-events.co.uk/skidpan.htm

Looks just what I need. I lost the back end of my skyline this morning very slighty (and pooed myself just a little) on the exit of a slightly damp roundabout at 5am... scary stuff!

Are the supras more or less back end happy - do they have traction control?

My "daily" car is an Audi A6 2.7 Tdi and I can abuse the hell out of it in most conditions :)

Funny you should have said that, when I typed my first post I wrote "in the meantime, watch the roundabouts and careful with the right foot"But I deleted it cos I thought it sounded a bit "dad like" lol.

There's a very nice car up your way (Swindon) Mr Lover, you will see him on here, nice guy as well.

G

:hello: & :welcome:

You will find that when the Second tubbie kicks in the arse end can snake a bit but take it easy at the beginning and get to know the car. Get to know how it drives, how much you can floor it before you completely lose the rear end and treat it with respect. Take it easy in the wet and you will have no problems. enjoy the grin factor that you will get every time you drive it ;)

Have fun.

Gaz :)

Re the "back end" I think most that have been crashed on here seem to have involved roundabouts / corners & back ends.

The stock T/C is crap... if you pull out of a side road onto a busy main road a bit sharpish, you will find yourself doing 15 MPH in front of a lorry bearing down on you.

Ralelogic T/C seems to be the way to go, about £600 for the basic one.

G

Cheers for all your comments guys. I am clockwatching here just dying to get the car. I do plan to get my hands dirty with it as well - I have done most of the servicing and some major-ish things like a timing belt change on my old Audi 2.5 V6 tdi and do enjoy that sort of things.

Oh yeah - one other thing, my main resource with my audi was the "Bentley" service manual CD for that model of car, explains every detail. Does something exist for the Supra or is it a case of forum members contributing guides?

Welcome to the club mate. Good choice of car you're going for ;) The last couple of days before picking her up are always the slowest!

Oh yeah - one other thing, my main resource with my audi was the "Bentley" service manual CD for that model of car, explains every detail. Does something exist for the Supra or is it a case of forum members contributing guides?

There is a Supra manual but it's not too readily available. I believe there's a pdf copy around somewhere but I've not seen it myself. I bought a hard copy from JohnK, a member on here, but I'm not sure if he has any left (he doesn't mass-produce them). Drop him a pm if you like.

Hi Guys

The car I am looking at / picking up tomorrow is supposed to be a 1995 RZ - it's not got the leather seats but according to the model guide pdf (thanks mawby) "black leather" is standard fit. What does that mean?

Anything I should check for to make sure it really is an RZ?