The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Q's about TRD Widebody Kit

jevansio

Got a couple of questions about this kit, any help much appreciated:

1. Would it be possible to only get the front wings & rear quarters and have the kit match up to the stock front bumper, rear bumper, oem spats & skirts???

2. Do the front wings & rear quarters replace the orgionals or go over the top? Would much weight be added to the car?

3. The kit is 25mm wider each side, do both the front & rear arches extend this much? Or do the rear extend the full 25 and the front less?

4. Would an origional kit fit much better than say a copy sourced via Miami GT/Envy?

5. I read that bledning in skirts & spats may be a bad idea for everyday use cars (speed humps etc), would fitting this kit cause me similar problems? I do like to drive the car hard.

I'm thinking about bodykits ATM, I like the standard look, I just fancy something to make the arches a little stockier (like a Supe on steriods), don't want to go full blown widebody (like locky's JGTC style), as nice as it is, it would be just too impracticle for me, the TRD arches seem like a nice compromise, wouldn't alter the lines of the car too much, yet give it a more agressive stance.

Any anwers/help/tips most welcome,

Jay

I have done extensive research on this and can answer some of your questions:

1.) No way in hell without EXTENSIVE body work - by the time you have done this you would have paid so much in bodywork you may as well get the whole kit. The front and rear fenders stick out a couple of inches so the fitment would be WAY off for OEM side skirts.

2.) Front replace, rear go over the top.

3.) Rear is wider than the front

4.) Can't help on this - MVP's kit is said to be the best replica (in some cases fitting better than the original)

5.) Yes it was me that started this thread regarding blending problems... I think a widebody kit would be less of a problem as it is so extensively attached to the car unlike molded skirts which are only molded in 2 places.

i have a trd kit on my car supplied by envy and its not bad, you def need front bumper and rear bumper, the only bits you dont have to have are the bonnet and rear wing.

to give you an idea on width heres a picture of mine with the stock wheels on

2007_0213suprabeingrefitted0001.JPG

Great answers inferno,

With regard to Q 1., what if I were to go with the TRD skirts aswell, but keep the standard bumpers? Only reason is I don't really like the TRD front, I could live with all panels except that one.

Hrmmm that's a tough one... I can't answer that for sure sorry. I believe you could do this, but the front bumper would require modification and the TRD rear 1/4 panels would have to be molded into the rear bumper with extra filler to make up for the difference in width...

These pics show the kit being fitted and might help answer some of your questions:

http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/merchant/trdbody.htm

Inferno has answered all the rest of questions, but on point 4, our kit is fantastic.

We've supplied nearly all the kits on this site - ours, DNK's, albundy68's, Dave Price's and they have all been top quality but must be fitted right! I can offer you a full service drive in, drive out service if you like. Your wheels won't be quite big enough though :(

Gaz.

Inferno has answered all the rest of questions, but on point 4, our kit is fantastic.

We've supplied nearly all the kits on this site - ours, DNK's, albundy68's, Dave Price's and they have all been top quality but must be fitted right! I can offer you a full service drive in, drive out service if you like. Your wheels won't be quite big enough though :(

Gaz.

Out of interest, how much is a drive in, drive out job?

1) NO! the kits prone to sinking/cracking without messing around, adding filler etc to make different bumper fit, it would be bad idea.

2) rear 1/4s bonded, fronts replaced. extra weight depends how much / what type of bond you use, the kit doesnt way that much n can be lighter than what its replacing i.e. bonnet.

3) front and rear are too wide for my garage, but rear wider

4) i dont even think original kits are available, if they are youre talking BIG money, think the cost of another supe!

(envy kit fit is pretty good, its supposedly made from original molds)

5) YES!!!

myself, kev@envy and dnk have all experienced rear 1/4 sinking problems on the rear 1/4s initially.

if you got envy to do whole job i would have thought they could be confident they can fit without sinking as theyve done it a couple of times, but dont count on it 100% no matter how good the bodyshop is.

TRD kit is anything BUT a compromise, be prepaired to spend at least double the value of your car to get it right,

as a guide ive spent over 15 grand on the kit, the fit, the paint, the suspension (nec. for big wheels or arch rub), the wheels (nec. for kit),

etc etc.

if you want a trd kit, sell your supe n buy one with it fitted, it'll save you a fortune and you'll avoid taking 5 years off your life through stress!

if youre really serious, meet up with me/kev/dnk and hav a look, (pm me if you want),

...then prepair to loose 4 years of your life/4 years worth of cash! LOL

1) NO! the kits prone to sinking/cracking without messing around, adding filler etc to make different bumper fit, it would be bad idea.

2) rear 1/4s bonded, fronts replaced. extra weight depends how much / what type of bond you use, the kit doesnt way that much n can be lighter than what its replacing i.e. bonnet.

4) i dont even think original kits are available, if they are youre talking BIG money, think the cost of another supe!

5) YES!!!

myself, kev@envy and dnk have all experienced rear 1/4 sinking problems on the rear 1/4s initially.

if you got envy to do whole job i would have thought they could be confident they can fit without sinking as theyve done it a couple of times, but dont count on it 100% no matter how good the bodyshop is.

TRD kit is anything BUT a compromise, be prepaired to spend at least double the value of your car to get it right,

as a guide ive spent over 15 grand on the kit, the fit, the paint, the suspension (nec. for big wheels or arch rub), the wheels (nec. for kit),

etc etc.

if you want a trd kit, sell your supe n buy one with it fitted, it'll save you a fortune and you'll avoid taking 5 years off your life through stress!

if youre really serious, meet up with me/kev/dnk and hav a look, (pm me if you want),

can only agree having been there and done it and wont be doing it again

Gaz is assuming you dont buy bonnet/bumper and use smaller than my/kevs wheels, which require non standard suspension, (and at least uk brakes if you dont want to die).

id guess the work to fit std bumper would be on top of the 8.5k as well.

even with the Gaz option, you'd be very lucky if you got it right for under 10K,

dnk did it with thinner wheels/no trd bonnet, he might comment?

i should say on the positive that for:

10k bpu supe

+

10-15k kit

you get something arguably

faster than,

better looking than,

and more relyable than a LOT of 50k+++ supercars!

Mine cost me £1000 for the kit, fitting and painting. Cheap American replica kit that resembled tracing paper, but with the right bodyshop anything can be made good. The fit was fine, just the finish on the gel coat sucked. I've done 10000 miles and had no sinkage, filler cracking or any major blemishes. The idea with mine was to basically get the kit on so i could use the car last year, and get it back into the shop to have it made perfect this year. I had a god send in the fact that someone reversed into my car in December, so her insurance has very kindly paid for a full respray, and a full prep to excellent standards. We'll see how good a cheap kit can look next week. If i was to do it all over again, i'd pay the extra for the Envy kit, purely for the finish quality. :D

can only agree having been there and done it and wont be doing it again

we should start a 'TRD widearch? ...NEVER AGAIN!' club!

im sure kev would join, i honestly think he was contemplating TRD related suicide at one point! lol

would you believe my 1/4s have sunk for the 3rd time?

i need to have a chat at some point with you about who/how yours were sorted if thats ok?

(apologies for thread hijack, but its related/relevant i guess)

Mine cost me £1000 for the kit, fitting and painting. Cheap American replica kit that resembled tracing paper, but with the right bodyshop anything can be made good. The fit was fine, just the finish on the gel coat sucked. I've done 10000 miles and had no sinkage, filler cracking or any major blemishes. The idea with mine was to basically get the kit on so i could use the car last year, and get it back into the shop to have it made perfect this year. I had a god send in the fact that someone reversed into my car in December, so her insurance has very kindly paid for a full respray, and a full prep to excellent standards. We'll see how good a cheap kit can look next week. If i was to do it all over again, i'd pay the extra for the Envy kit, purely for the finish quality. :D

stop showwing off you jammy b-stard! LOL

the exception to everything i said above is jezz,

who stumbled upon a cheap kit,

...then cheep wheels,

...had a good friend who happened to be an excellent kit fitter/painter and did the job very well/cheaply,

...oh and he works at a supe scrapyard so can grab any necessary fiddly bits/suspension/brakes etc. on the cheep that us mortals have to pay big bucks for.

not to mention the free 'insurance' respray!

jezz, nice bloke, ...but i hate him! (just kidding mate!)

stop showwing off you jammy b-stard! LOL

the exception to everything i said above is jezz,

who stumbled upon a cheap kit,

...then cheep wheels,

...had a good friend who happened to be an excellent kit fitter/painter and did the job very well/cheaply,

...oh and he works at a supe scrapyard so can grab any necessary fiddly bits/suspension/brakes etc. on the cheep that us mortals have to pay big bucks for.

not to mention the free 'insurance' respray!

jezz, nice bloke, ...but i hate him! (just kidding mate!)

:) I aint saying anything until i get my car back next week! If all the original fitting blemishes have been rectified, and its finished to the standard i want, rock on! Believe it or not, my 6 speed candy red TT widebody aerotop owes me......£****. Insert your own figure here. :D

Well Al you've pretty much convinced me against it in one post :D, as per usual I was planning on things being straight forward with no hassle, guess that's just what a TRD kit isn't. Also after speaking to Gaz @ Envy my wheels will be too small, & I'm not getting rid of my C4R's for anything,

5) YES!!!

etc etc.

Well Al you've pretty much convinced me against it in one post :D, as per usual I was planning on things being straight forward with no hassle, guess that's just what a TRD kit isn't. Also after speaking to Gaz @ Envy my wheels will be too small, & I'm not getting rid of my C4R's for anything,

good choice!

trd kit WILL ruin your life*

(*unless youre called Jezz)

Years ago I was at Tdi looking at a customers car with an original TRD kit and I'm sure they told me that the rear quarters were replacement panels.

I may well be wrong, it was about 6 years ago now. The fact that they were bonded is what really put me off, but I had no idea people had "sinkage" problems with them. Sounds a bloody nightmare.

Years ago I was at Tdi looking at a customers car with an original TRD kit and I'm sure they told me that the rear quarters were replacement panels.

I may well be wrong, it was about 6 years ago now. The fact that they were bonded is what really put me off, but I had no idea people had "sinkage" problems with them. Sounds a bloody nightmare.

i wouldnt have thought so, to replace the rear quarters would involve chopping up the whole shell of the car,

maybe trd could do that on the actual race trd cars that were built specifically from scratch, but they definately didnt on the original trd aftermarket kit as i looked at one from trd direct when i got mine.

it was just the same except about 7000(!) instead of 3000.

Any fibre glass will possibly suffer from sinkage or worse such as microblistering from trapped air when the panels are laid up.

The air heats up expands and you get lots of pimple effect dots.

This will vary from kit to kit depending on how well theyve been made.

The problem mainly on the rear quarters is where the fibre glass meets the original quarter panel, its all down to prep and patience as you cant just throw them on and paint them like some places think, trouble is sinkage can take a while to occur the same as the microblistering so you can have a loverly finish to start with and 2 weeks later its not so good.

Any fibre glass will possibly suffer from sinkage or worse such as microblistering from trapped air when the panels are laid up.

The air heats up expands and you get lots of pimple effect dots.

This will vary from kit to kit depending on how well theyve been made.

The problem mainly on the rear quarters is where the fibre glass meets the original quarter panel, its all down to prep and patience as you cant just throw them on and paint them like some places think, trouble is sinkage can take a while to occur the same as the microblistering so you can have a loverly finish to start with and 2 weeks later its not so good.

2 weeks? im still getting micro blistering after 2 years!!! :(