The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Blow-Out :(

Andy Supra

Been driving around at high-leptons most of the day.

Coming home, nice 4 mile straight usually do fair few leptons on this road but today thought nope will let turbo cool down so can turn off straight away once on drive, practically home and b00m.

Drivers tyre blow out on sort of 60 degree left bend, lost some traction but kept everything in order.

Got it home, looked at tyre and only visable thing and most likely issue is the big nail in the tyre :(

So just got a quote for the fronts again Michellin Pilot Sports 245/35/19's and £210 a tyre was cheapest I could find (want to change both fronts at same time obviously as other tyre has done a good 6000 miles anyway of joyful driving.)

Anyway settled for these Bridgestone RE050's people have mentioned. 2 for £265 (£132.50 a tyre).

From forum response they seem to be a good price. Just got to travel 100 miles to get them and then 100 miles back in my Punto now.

Spose it could of been alot worse but hate unexpected bills!

Guest gzaerojon

i have 2x 245/35/19 i'm taking off mine soon, i'm pretty sure they're ok (one is at least) just bought a full set so i'll be binning them

any good to you?

Guest gzaerojon
Well need a tyre a.s.a.p. really but interested as a spare incase similar situation occurs again. Keep me notified please tight on funds at moment so i'll give you honest verdict straight off it I have no $$$

if you can run a space saver for a few days i can get my new ones fitted, or at least 1 (choosing the best of the 2)

if you cover postage you can have them :)

Had two, yes two, nails in unrepairable spots in two days. One a brand new tyre!

Hadnt driven on the same bit of road so no idea where I picked them up.

Needless to say i now have a spare tyre in the garage as well as the skinny in the boot.

Dont forget to keep the spare pumped up, even if it's 10 psi above its rated pressure. You can always let the air out if you need to, but pumping it up on the side of the road at 1am is not an option.

Driving with a tyre narrower than your exhaust is a serious style error.

gzaerojon cheers for the offer! true club spirit

I've collected 2 new tyres now and will be getting them put on tomorrow.

I've the spare in the boot but the cars 3 & 1/2" off the ground so had to purchase a racing trolley jack to get under it to jack which is so heavy I keep at home and if I go from the 19" wheel to the 16" wheel car will most likely be on the floor.

Maybe need to rethink the ride height for these situations

Guest gzaerojon
gzaerojon cheers for the offer! true club spirit

I've collected 2 new tyres now and will be getting them put on tomorrow.

I've the spare in the boot but the cars 3 & 1/2" off the ground so had to purchase a racing trolley jack to get under it to jack which is so heavy I keep at home and if I go from the 19" wheel to the 16" wheel car will most likely be on the floor.

Maybe need to rethink the ride height for these situations

no worries mate :thumbs:

i know what you mean, i have to drive mine up a couple of planks to get her high enough to jack

then i forget the planks when i let her down :innocent:

Hi Andy - you tried Ebly's in Bar Hill? That's where I go (although assume prices are same most places).

Would recommend sticking to the same brand all round (or at least front and back) if I were you. I have a mix of brands (although slowly getting back on track as they were out), but the car doesn't feel quite the same with different tyres on (esp. as tread a different pattern).

Cheers,

Ben.

Yeh needed to wait a bit for them to get in and they wanted an extra £65.

I had Mich Pilot Sports all round now i'll have them at the back and Bridgestones at the fronts, I don't like mixing tyres and although the passenger tyre still has good few thousand miles i'm changing both at once.