The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Blended side skirts/rear spats

Inferno

Hi Folks!

I was looking at pistonbroke's beautiful car, and noticed he had blended/molded side skirts and rear spats... http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=104511

I have a question for those of of you who have gone down this path - how fragile are molded body parts like these? Is it a matter of just hitting a bad pothole and it will crack and come apart? Or are they pretty damn strong and would require a direct impact for something like that to happen? Any special care when washing/waxing/polishing the car?

Thanks!

to be honest it depend who does them and how they are done. some times they can sink and allow you to see lines other times can be fine. as far as cracks like i said if its a good job they shouldt really crack it all depends on who does it. my skirts have been done and my whole trial rear end but i know that custom creations are very good for blending etc as i use to work there.

As a show car? Fine.

Regular driver, forget it. Unless you can get body repairs done very cheaply.

It's easy to scrape a skirt. The other night I had to drive over a firemans hose. They'd put out some kind of ramp over it. I carefully go over and guess what? Crunch. Nice scrape on the skirts and I lost a rear securing popper.

Not a biggie, but it would've ruined any blend.

As a show car? Fine.

Regular driver, forget it. Unless you can get body repairs done very cheaply.

It's easy to scrape a skirt. The other night I had to drive over a firemans hose. They'd put out some kind of ramp over it. I carefully go over and guess what? Crunch. Nice scrape on the skirts and I lost a rear securing popper.

Not a biggie, but it would've ruined any blend.

Yup, i've done that a few times too and the car is just on standard bilstein set up

never had any problems with my blended skirts, but mine isnt a daily driver,

...and theres no chance of getting the nose over anything that would scrape the skirts. lol

its a matter of carefully planning route to avoid bad speedbumps, ...or 3 point turn and try a different route!

its the price you pay for blended skirts/front bumpers that stick out a mile im afraid.

mine has been done about a year with no probs and the car is a daily driver (ish) i really do prefer the look with the parts looking like they were meant to be there rather than just stuck on, used urethane bumper filler to join the side skirts to the body and bonded the spats on with fibre glass and normal filler, you have to be commited and realise these bits are on for good as you will never get them off without wrecking the car

front 109.jpg