The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Acceleration ? manu

markjodrell

I was messing around in my TT auto yesterday...

So , slip off,overdrive off, Manu on left in D.

Doing about 10-20 mph floor it and although making stadidy progress did not kick down into first.

Did exactly the same thing with maun off and the acceleration was stack better due to the kick down to first.

Is this whats supposed to happen when in manu, as i have read that manu holds the gear, so does that mean it stops the gearbox from kicking down.

If thats the case Im a bit confused as I thought the MANU was the "performance" enhancing button as such.

If I was racing at the ligts from a standstill I would say the cars much quicker with manu OFF, any comments ?????????

thanks guys, thats confirmed pretty much what I though, so basically the way to do the quickest take off is manu, then L ,2,D, incidently (daft question) do you leave the accelerator floored when changing up the auto box, I take it you do

When you put it into D that will be 3rd, once thats redlined, turn off manual, straight into 4th! 150!

No, you can have the O/D button off and it'll still go the 3rd gear in Manu mode. Manual mode only allows the 3 gears to be used anyway, not O/D iirc, but I do believe the ECU won't allow you to completely fry the Gearbox and may change up again regardless.

I normally set off in L (Manu mode) and go to number 2 where I stay for town cruising. The sound of the exhaust also seems to sharpen up and rumble more off woot. :)

This has been discussed many a time. Do a search buddy ;)

I wonder why Mawby Soopdog, Ian C & myself spent ages setting up a sticky in tech about the auto box.:rolleyes:

All you need to know is here. :)

I know Class One, hence I explained and then thought bugger it. Been covered so many times before and your thread was excellent. :)

In all honesty, I couldn't be arsed to do a search! :p

I can't see a 0-160 time being much quicker in manu than full auto mode. For best results I've always turned the trac off, left it in D, using the brake as a clutch, revved to 1800rpm and feed the brake out while feeding more gas and go for it. This *will* shag something, so use at your own risk, and don't do it too often.

I can't see a 0-160 time being much quicker in manu than full auto mode. For best results I've always turned the trac off, left it in D, using the brake as a clutch, revved to 1800rpm and feed the brake out while feeding more gas and go for it. This *will* shag something, so use at your own risk, and don't do it too often.

thats pretty much me to all this messing with manu, i dont even power brake and beat everything this side of a supe with more power than me, i am sure the day will come when i get out dragged but it aint happened yet:D

thats pretty much me to all this messing with manu, i dont even power brake and beat everything this side of a supe with more power than me, i am sure the day will come when i get out dragged but it aint happened yet:D

I've been out-dragged by many things, mainly turbocharged Porsches and post95 Ferrari's, Cerberas....

Also as something to try when you have a straight road:

Try, leaving it in `Drive` and giving the accelerator a very quick blip (say at 30-40mph) and then flooring it!

The turbos seem to spool up at the same time as the kick down and ZZZzzzooommmm your off!

(great in the dry but dont try it in the wet!!!)