The mkiv Supra Owners Club

door sealing problem.

blert596

I've got a problem with the door seals around BOTH doors. There appears to be a gap just behind where the window meets the seal. I've attached a picture but its not very clear so will try and get a decent one tonight.

i had a word at a local garage (non Supe) and he reckons that a seal has been pulled ou.

Personally i can't see someone nicking a seal from each door though. Ive tried to try and shove it back incase it had come away from clips or something but its solid.

Any ideas

26032007(001).jpg

Im pretty sure the wind deflectors have never been fitted (well i'm positive since it was imported).

And I cant believe I'd be daft enough not to notice this in two years with the Supe. :blink:

The only problem is that I cant be sure when it actually happened.

It may be the seals knackered, or it could be the windows could be adjusting to seal the gaps....you can adjust the height and angle of the windows (you have to take the door cards are off).

This thread may help....post number 4 is my attempt at explaining what I mean

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=100132

Yeah that! :)

There's loads of adjustment on the window itself, up and down, forwards and back, you can tilt the top in loads too.

How can you be sure that it didn't have wind deflectors in Japan??

I'm not. I just meant i'mcertain it hasn't had any since it came over here. I’m pretty sure that the gap would have caught my eye when I picked the car up, so I’m tending to think it was pretty much blended in when I got it.

It may be the seals knackered, or it could be the windows could be adjusted to seal the gaps....you can adjust the height and angle of the windows (you have to take the door cards off).

This thread may help....post number 4 is my attempt at explaining what I mean

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=100132

Thanks Ewen. The windows on both sides seal perfectly and there’s certainly no rain coming in. Its actually a gap after the seal towards the centre of the roof.

mine are like that as well :blink: I thought they were all like it, like a gutter to drain off the rain.

If not, cant it just be bent back???

I’ve tried pushing but its totally solid, and the guy at the garage seems to think there’s some sort of seal missing, but he has no idea why the gap would be there.

I can understand the fitting of wind deflectors would mean some sort of change to the seals, but when/if removed, surely the car should be able to go back to looking streamlined.

Would any better pictures of the problem help?

I have just been outside and looked at mine and it is exactly the same as your pic. I wonder if the seals have failed and you have never noticed the gap. I have had my car a couple of months now and tbh I have never noticed that gap myself.

Coincidence?? ;)

H.

I'm not. I just meant i'mcertain it hasn't had any since it came over here. I’m pretty sure that the gap would have caught my eye when I picked the car up, so I’m tending to think it was pretty much blended in when I got it....

Thanks Ewen. The windows on both sides seal perfectly and there’s certainly no rain coming in. Its actually a gap after the seal towards the centre of the roof. ...I’ve tried pushing but its totally solid, and the guy at the garage seems to think there’s some sort of seal missing, but he has no idea why the gap would be there. I can understand the fitting of wind deflectors would mean some sort of change to the seals, but when/if removed, surely the car should be able to go back to looking streamlined.

Would any better pictures of the problem help?

Better pics would help.

I understand what you are explaining now....I've just been to look at mine and I dont have this gap, BUT the top rear corner of the door seal rubber (the bit you are talking about ?) looks as though its a different grade of rubber to the rest, with an obvious joint line roughly where your gap seems to start....possibly just broken away ??

Here the gap on mine, just seems to open up over the roof section and both sides are identical.

roof1.jpg

roof2.jpg

roof3.jpg

I think it might be there as a gutter to stop water pouring in the door when open. They could have done with it on the 'A' post as I always get sprayed with the windscreen run off even if the windows just cracked open.:)

Well, its certainly put my mind at rest that its not a fault. However, it seems kinda weird that the car would be designed pretty much sleek in all other areas, except for these bits.

And its actually bugging the hell out of me now that I look for it everytime I go to get in the car. From the front it just looks like the doors haven't been fitted properly, even though its not part of the door system.

Really really getting on my nerves now. :(

Better pics would help.

I understand what you are explaining now....I've just been to look at mine and I dont have this gap, BUT the top rear corner of the door seal rubber (the bit you are talking about ?) looks as though its a different grade of rubber to the rest, with an obvious joint line roughly where your gap seems to start....possibly just broken away ??

Oops....talk about getting the wrong end of the stick:) I thought you were talking about the window SEAL, not the exterior window trim. Your first photo shows a gap at the top of the rear edge of the window glass, thats what I thought you were on about.

I'm off to find another tangent to go off on.

• 1 year later...
Guest dannyboy107

Thought id reply to this post dunno if people have found the solution to this after a year but anyways, bascially gaps are there due to wind deflectors fitted when the car was in Japan. If you look directly down you can see two clips these are to space the trim out abit so you can fit the deflector in

open the door Carefully pull out the rubber seal where the window touches, then clip out the plastic seal remove the two clips put the plastic bit back rubber seal back and bingo bobs your uncle abit brief but very simple job