The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Strange noise from fan area

Fifty

Noise is not heard when revs increase

Graham all seems well with the pulley ie it doesnt appear to seperating or moved. I am convinced the noise is somewhere below the 2 large cam gears you can see when the plug cover is off; almost like theres paper or something inside that the belt is catching; there is no damage evident to the belt.

Rich

dunno if its the same noise but I started to get a weird sound coming from the fan/pulleys only at idle, and it went as soon as I touched the acc. pedal. Has your car been off the road for a while, because mine only started to make the noise when the car was not driven for about 2 weeks. I was told it's the idler pulley??

Noise is not heard when revs increase

Graham all seems well with the pulley ie it doesnt appear to seperating or moved. I am convinced the noise is somewhere below the 2 large cam gears you can see when the plug cover is off; almost like theres paper or something inside that the belt is catching; there is no damage evident to the belt.

Rich

Maybe there's a bit of paper inside? or something?

:)

Well, its defo the power steering pump. the noise comes on when I turn the whell and also with slight increase in revs, its sounds exactly like a plastic fan when you drag a piece of card in it.

Fluid level looks a little low actually but no leaks I can see; going to bleed it and see if it improves. I guess not a s bad as the other possibilities.

Complete bollox - add this itssomething to do with the fan belt because a spot of wd40 and its gone. Operating the power steering air con etc made the noise cos of the add on stress to the belt; probably just dry cos it aint loose!

Rich