The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HOW TO GUIDE - Dying your carpet Black

M4RK RZ

HOW TO GUIDE

Dying your Supra Carpet (Black)

A few people asked if I would knock up a 'HOW TO' guide on dying your supra carpet when I did my own. I hope that this helps some people along - im no expert, but do know when something works well, as did this process.

All it takes is a little will power to do it ! A very simple task indeed.

1) Remove the 2 seats. This is done by locating 8 bolts (4 per seat) Some of the bolt heads will be covered by plastic grey trim, in which case use a flat blade screwdriver to pop off the clips. Ensure if you have electronic integrated seat accessories that you dis-connect he cables. Removing the seats takes approx 20 mins taking it easy.

Then you will have this, if not ......... you forgot to take them out.

2) Next remove the lower seat belt bolts and the plastic 'pozi' fasteners in the foot wells. Also remove the drivers foot rest - there are 2 plastic discs on its surface, twist these untill the pegs are released. The rear seats need to be lifted slightly to get to further fastener clips on the edge of the carpet - a brisk sharp pull upwards on the front edge of the rear lower seat pops the 2 securing U shaped metal clips from the car to provide access. Do not worry about doing this - it simply pushes back in after.

Last of all remove the centre console by taking out the gear stick dash panel and looking for the securing screws - same at other end.

Remove the plastic trim the carpet tucks under around the door area (this pops off too) and then slowly tempt the carpet side clips form the metal edge.

And to be honest - that’s the hard bit done!

3) Cleaning the carpet.

Vac off all loose dirt etc. I then applied 1001 carpet cleaner and followed the instructions. I was having an ALPHA male moment so to wash it off I blasted the carpet with the jet wash !!!! WOW the amount of dirt that comes out in rivers !!! ok it takes a little longer to dry but worth it I think. A wet vac would do fine also............I just did not have one.

Ready to be washed :

Drying, took approx 1 day ! not bad really !

4) Dying the carpet

Ok, so now your thinking "This is going to be a mess!! "

NOT AT ALL !!

You need the following:

Car interior Carpet Dye (from Ebay - I got 5L for £20)

Marigolds - Pink if you like

Cloth

Plant sprayer from B&Q or anywhere else £0.86p

Plastic funnel (I did not use one but I recommend it!)

Fill the bottle .......

5) Spray direct onto carpet in even sweeps - easy peezy - you will know when you try it.

6) I found that after approx 1L of spraying - simply rubbing in with your fingers was a good way to plump up the pile and work in the dye. Im sure a stiff brush would do the same but I like to get messy.

I applied 1 coat ( approx 1L) rubbed in, then a second - again approx 1 Litre rubbed in. Then finally a last spray over of about 0.5Litre.

7) Leave to dry - follow drying times on your product. Sit back and check out the difference !!!

and for £20 ! wow what a face lift !

Hope this helps - not the best guide but then again there is not much to say - it really is that easy !

Here is the link to the Ebay shop

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/VALETERS-PRIDE

They have some other great bulk products in .

M4rk rz

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awsome guide mate!! Would like to personally say thanks for taking the time to right it out (sure many other members will say this too :))

Think i will be looking to do this soon, as the car is in parts anyways and would be nice to put it back together including newly dyed carpet!! :D

Could I ask, have you got any kind of link to the sller or another listing to where you got the dye from buddy??

Awsome guide mate!! Would like to personally say thanks for taking the time to right it out (sure many other members will say this too :))

Think i will be looking to do this soon, as the car is in parts anyways and would be nice to put it back together including newly dyed carpet!! :D

Could I ask, have you got any kind of link to the sller or another listing to where you got the dye from buddy??

Added at bottom of page mate :)

Thanks guys :)

I decided to do it because my new trimmed seats would had looked rubbish on the old carpet !! esp after spendin money on them for the sake of £20 for the carpet :)

Excellent!! Shame I only got 1 litre of dye :blink:

Maybe I can find an economical way of applying it???? Perhaps with my DeVibliss spray gun :D

But seriously, if it was applied under high pressure would there be a need to work it in??? Would it do with 1 coat??

Excellent!! Shame I only got 1 litre of dye :blink:

Maybe I can find an economical way of applying it???? Perhaps with my DeVibliss spray gun :D

But seriously, if it was applied under high pressure would there be a need to work it in??? Would it do with 1 coat??

You can cover the whole carpet in 1 coat mate - the mist form my garden gun was realy quite fine - I defo suggest getting another Litre for max effect.

When it is back in your not going to want to do it again lol

Here are some more pics I took today when I put the carpet back in.

Can someone add these to my thread to keep it as a running guide?

Its just the image count is too high now:p

Rear Seat Clip Position:

Removing Centre Console:

Fully Fitted:

Before and After:

:cool:

Thats great, thanks for posting up. Far simpler than I thought, and so cheap!

Hope you don't mind if I pinch this for the FAQS section? ;)

Not at all mate :) - glad its that useful !

You may need to pop the last pics in order with the rest.

• 4 weeks later...

The only item on my car which, I have hidden due to it looking VERY ugly. :taped:

I'll be trying this out on a UK beige carpet so, hope I have the same results as you :eek: or I could be buying a new carpet :eek:

Some photo's of the carpet straight out of the car. (not cleaned) Yuk!

P1050074.JPG

P1050075.JPG

P1050076.JPG

P1050077.JPG

I only posted today :) I need to buy some dye now via your link to the ebay trader ;)

I did mine last week, cant believe how good that dye is,

i gave it a good two coats and used about 2.5 ltr.

ps it also dyes grass and drives if your not careful!.