The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Newbie looking to buy next month

Guest tecc

Hello everyone

Looking for some advice...

I previously had a MK3 Turbo, but really wanted a MK IV, and am finally looking to buy one next month, what I'm trying to decide is which model, as I see it...

Pros

SZ - cheaper to buy/insure

RZ - Twin Turbo

GZ - Top of Range

Cons

SZ - no turbo, if I wanted to convert it to turbo, where? how much? and does it kill the car?

RZ - doesn't seem to be very available

GZ - Expensive to buy ,and leather interior (was the main thing I didn't like in MK3)

Please could you give me some advice

As you're considering the TT as an option I'd wipe the SZ off that list 1st, I assume you've got the funds to run/maintain a TT and esp coming from a MK3 Turbo I'd def want to keep it turbo.

I wouldn't get to tied up with RZ vs GZ, just make sure you get a good one (wel maintained, nice clean example), when you see the one you want you'll know, it doesn't matter if it's an RZ or a GZ, well that my opinion anyway

PS

for pros RZ = Twin Turbo, GZ can also = Twin Turbo

for cons some RZ's come with leather,

don't worry about about RZ/GZ just make sure you're happy with the spec on the car you decide

Have a look in the Supra Guide and Model Differences Chart in FAQ's & guides for the spec of various models if that helps

There is a bit of confusion regarding the insuring of the SZ that you may not be aware of.

A lot of companies actually charge more to insure the SZ than the TT. I am also surprised by your statement that the RZ is not readily available? With the exception on the GZ, more or less all of the TT's are RZ's.

Hi, Thanks for the help,

my comment about rz's not being readily available is only based on the fact that 90%+ of the supra's I have found advertised are sz's or listed as non-turbo, I would like to buy a supra with a body kit already fitted, and I think preferrably a TT and am budgeting about £6000, insurance only seems to be about £50 extra for the TT, I just really wanted some feedback from existing owners to find out how much difference the TT made

All advice appreciated[GRIN][/GRIN]

Hi, Thanks for the help,

my comment about rz's not being readily available is only based on the fact that 90%+ of the supra's I have found advertised are sz's or listed as non-turbo, I would like to buy a supra with a body kit already fitted, and I think preferrably a TT and am budgeting about £6000, insurance only seems to be about £50 extra for the TT, I just really wanted some feedback from existing owners to find out how much difference the TT made

I think the fact that your budget only extends to 6k is a contributing factor to there being few RZ's available. I sell many TT's that are priced a lot lower than most of my fellow traders but very few are 6k or below.

As for the difference between the NA and the TT? If you are looking for a car based on looks then they are both the same. if you are looking for performance too, then the TT leaves the NA standing - literally!

Hi, Thanks for the help,

TT for 6k .... Unless it will be very lucky find on this forum at Sale section, because someone HAVE to sell for this price, I would say, there is no chance you can get good TT for 6k :( For 6k tho you can find nice facelift NA - and I would go for it.

I'm not searching using price as a criteria, and the budget is fairly flexible, what is the average price for a TT? have found bonsaicars.com who suggest from £4600 for an rz, have found examples up to £15k, on ebay the prices seem to be around £4000 for a sz, and £5500 up for a rz, whilst there are alot of rz being sold by the trade for around £8000 most seem to have been for sale for some time which would suggest that that is above the market price.

Performance is as important as 'looks', it was after talking to a dealer who had both types for sale and suggested that there wasn't a great deal of difference performance wise that I thought I should ask the experts....

Performance is as important as 'looks', it was after talking to a dealer who had both types for sale and suggested that there wasn't a great deal of difference performance wise that I thought I should ask the experts....

there is a significant difference in performance.........similar difference (i'd have thought) as between the na and turbo MR2's

I'm not searching using price as a criteria, and the budget is fairly flexible, what is the average price for a TT? have found bonsaicars.com who suggest from £4600 for an rz, have found examples up to £15k, on ebay the prices seem to be around £4000 for a sz, and £5500 up for a rz, whilst there are alot of rz being sold by the trade for around £8000 most seem to have been for sale for some time which would suggest that that is above the market price.

It is difficult to give an average figure as there is a huge disparity across the board. I would be amazed if you contacted Bonsai cars that they would be able to supply a TT for that money. Usually companies display advertisements like that in the hope that people will contact them :rolleyes:

Ebay will always be cheaper as that is the usual medium for selling things quickly - hence the bargain hunters troll the place looking. There are good cars and bargains to be had but there are also some very dodgy folk on there so you will need to be very careful and do as many checks as possible before parting with your cash.

My advice would be to buy from a member or trader on here. You can normally do so in the knowledge that the owner "should" be trustworthy and that the car has been serviced and looked after properly.

That will also give you a feel for prices too. As an example, I recently sold a manual NA for £3500 so expect to pay that and up. My prices for auto TT's usually go from 6.5 up and for manual TT's 7.5k up.

HTH