The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How Much!

Stevie Boy

Hey guy's hoping for a little advise on the best way to go with my car insurance predicament.........

Long story short(ish).... '04-'06 had my '96 J-Spec MKIVTT Auto, Insured as my only car, used for daily commute to work in East London from my parents home in not exactly the best or worst part of North London where it was kept on the street in front of their house.

Had this scenario for 3years insured with SKY insurance from age 27 to now 30, 9 to now 12 years NCB with 3points (SP30) still valid and paid approx £1000 each year Fully Comp on agreed value £9k.

I recently purchased my own house, outside the M25 in Essex, which has it's own adjoining garage where my Supra is now kept safetly locked away and hardly ever used.

I bought an 'el Cheapo '98 1.4zetec Fiesta for commute/daily driver, which i insured with SKY when i moved in new gaff back in Nov on a mirrored bonus from my Supe (as starting scratch policy on 'el Cheapo Fiasco was considerably more than the car cost me) 3rd Party was just over £300.

Now been sent thru renewal quote on my MKIV TT and i've still been quoted approx £1000! :rolleyes:

Does this make any sense anyone??? consindering the car is now hardly ever used and kept safetly locked away in a garage in a decent enough part of Essex, as apposed to venerable the dodgey streets of North London....... I was expecting at the most in the region of £600.

Anyone recommended the best way of insuring 2cars Fiesta Daily driver approx 10k miles a year, the MKIV TT as a 2nd car limited mileage 3k miles a year max! Is SKY still our recommended club insurer?!!

I'd appreciate any helpful suggestions/advice Guys (and Gals)

That quote doesnt make sense at all. Im 26 with 4yrs NCB, all points just cleared off, all mods declared and paid about £760 with Sky on a TT6. Random number generators. Never ming limtied mileage, phone Sky and ask what the hell are they playing at.

My information is unlimited miles is all the same up to 12k miles. i.e. the same price regardles of 3k mls or 11k miles. Don`t restrict yourself to 3k as sky will ask (or at least they asked me) to see a foto of the milometer.

Make sure Sky are aware this the supe will NOT be your daily commuter and this should reduce costs. This could be how it`s such a high premium.

Andy

I am insured fully comp on my supe which makes me insured 3rd party on any other car i drive, can you not drive it on that?

I'm a Porsche Mechanic/Technician by trade so puts me in the Motor Trade bracket :( which with some insurers means that drive any car 3rd Party clause doesn't apply (tbh not 100% sure if thats the case with my SKY policy, it has been the case with past cars and you would have thought they would have said - also think the 3rd Party insurered car in question needs to be insured by someone else/another owner i think)

The Motor Trade things also bollox cos my Company does their own Insurance for all vehicles I drive at work or for Company business, so being penalised for that's such a rip off!

I'm gonna ring them up this afternoon and see what they have to say before i start shopping around (I don't mind sending photos of mile/odomometer had to do that of car and engine bay for agreed value)

Plan is to get both cars insured for £1k or less then i'll be happy, let you know how i get on guys.

Thanks for te comments and advice, all appreciated.

Well on the phone they've just knocked a couple quid off bringing it down to £900, I still tink that's too high, but apparently that quote had taken into account change of address and garage!

Looks like i start shopping round then.:(

Hi Steve

Sorry your having such problems, have you tried confused.com? You could look in the back of a copy of Banzai or Jap performance, lots of companies there. good luck anyway ;)

Lx

hey mate,

i have cheap insurance....but from what i learn't in a post this week it seems my insurance is shit.....lol

i still think its worth giving them a call though mate....even so!

heres a copy of my original post:

I have had my Jap tt supra insured for 10k, for the last 2 years with a broker called 'Auto Direct' who used 'Sabre' the contact tel no. is 08705405440.

Im 28 with 7 years no claims & no points fullycomp/protected £328 a year!

A uk spec car should be even cheaper....well my mates is.

Heres a copy of the original thread well worth reading:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=103877

Hi Steve

Sorry your having such problems, have you tried confused.com? You could look in the back of a copy of Banzai or Jap performance, lots of companies there. good luck anyway ;)

Lx

Confused didn't come back with anything, said they'd give me a ring!:( thinking maybe cos of BPU mods, listed them as well as i could from the options available. It's so annoying cos you do your best to tell them what you've done to the car to avoid no payouts and it just causes grief - it's no wonder so many people don't bother listing mods (of which i consider are very few) and why theres so many uninsured drivers out there full stop.

I understand it must be difficult for insurers to assess each case which may be unique but it is their job.

I'll try and give em a bell Matthew cheers, it's not due till 1st week of April but kinda glad i didn't leave it till the last minute.

Thanks guys.

hey mate,

i have cheap insurance....but from what i learn't in a post this week it seems my insurance is shit.....lol

i still think its worth giving them a call though mate....even so!

heres a copy of my original post:

I have had my Jap tt supra insured for 10k, for the last 2 years with a broker called 'Auto Direct' who used 'Sabre' the contact tel no. is 08705405440.

Im 28 with 7 years no claims & no points fullycomp/protected £328 a year!

A uk spec car should be even cheaper....well my mates is.

Heres a copy of the original thread well worth reading:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=103877

Number didn't work mate, i'll keep trying...................