The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Desparate for help re candy apple red paint

BarnyB

Dear All, I have a 1993 black TT auto jap import which is currently at the panel beaters or whatever you call them for a complete respray as the body work is in a shocking state. I dropped it off yesterday but just before I did I spotted a thread here with pictures of a supra in this gorgeous red. I asked the chaps at the place I took my Supra to if it can be done and they said yes, but the best quote they could find for the paint and laquer and whatever other stuff it is that's needed came to £3,000. I do have complete faith in the people working on my car but I wanted to just ask if anyone knows of a cheaper (but quality) supplier or another way of achieving such a beautiful colour that I would desparately love to see on my car without this expense. I really can't afford too much but might be able to streatch to absolute maximum £1,000 for materials. I live in Jersey so we don't have the same range of suppliers to visit unfortunately. Can anyone help???

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Decent paint jobs don't come cheap...

If you go for a cheap paint job you will get a bad job, especially with something like a candy which needs to be done with care (mind you so does any paint job)...

If you can't afford it yet, save and do it when you have the money...

I just had a quote for £3500 for a candy by a multi-magazine featured body designer for the following:

Candy Paint

All Materials

All Labour & Preparation

Designer cut-out mods to the bonnet and wings too

................and VAT included:)

All the above for £3500 so that may give you some form of comparison by which to go by

Dear All, I have a 1993 black TT auto jap import which is currently at the panel beaters or whatever you call them for a complete respray as the body work is in a shocking state. I dropped it off yesterday but just before I did I spotted a thread here with pictures of a supra in this gorgeous red. I asked the chaps at the place I took my Supra to if it can be done and they said yes, but the best quote they could find for the paint and laquer and whatever other stuff it is that's needed came to £3,000. I do have complete faith in the people working on my car but I wanted to just ask if anyone knows of a cheaper (but quality) supplier or another way of achieving such a beautiful colour that I would desparately love to see on my car without this expense. I really can't afford too much but might be able to streatch to absolute maximum £1,000 for materials. I live in Jersey so we don't have the same range of suppliers to visit unfortunately. Can anyone help???

Hi BarneyB PM animal (Paul) on this site he has just had his soop done Candy Apple Red ....he might have an idea of costs etc etc

Cheers

Ian

when u say £3000 u mean for the whole re-spray including labour/paint/materials right?

u dont mean £3000 for just the red candy paint/materials surely?

Yikes if u have been quoted £3000 for just the candy paint then thats crazy...i think at the most u would need is 5 litres of candy red + 4 Litres off silver undercoat + at the very tops 4 liters of laquer and that would be to do the whole car every panel including the backs.

I would say that off the top of my head i would pay about £700 for a nice candy red + all the other materials needed to do a respray on a supra......even if you went for the most exspensive house of colour candy there still only £150 a litre...but there a complete rip off anyway, loads of other paint manufactures do exactly the same products these days at half the cost.

If u want me to sort u out i can no probs.....not quite sure how we would work it out?

Also if u were quoted 3k for the complete job including the candy red, thats not that bad if the car is in a real mess like u said!

email if u are interested at [email protected]

This is candy apple, it is lovely..................under lights that is, its a bit like those little crystal orniments you get they look amazing under correct lighting. Oh and if you scratch it if I remember correctly its a full respray it cannot be touched up.

http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/486/candyapplered0tjte0.jpg

Thanks SupraAyf! It is very useful to see these numbers. Do you know who supplied the paint? I will be paying £ 2,600 for the labour if I change colours or £2,050 if I stick to black. It's one of the best quotes I have had and the place I am taking it has a really brilliant reputation. Luckily we don't have VAT but even so... price of living on an island!

Today I was looking at metallic reds at the painting place but on the way home I saw Fiestas, MGs, Citroen Xsaras, Rovers and all manner of other cars in similar colours. I had never realised how many cars there are in this sort of Burgendy red colour. I really wanted something that will stand out because the Supras are so very beautiful and think that just going for a metallic red would be less than the car deserves. Maybe I'm wrong though, has anyone got a Soop in this colour?

Thanks for to everyone for your help!

It aint cheap, and it aint easy to paint! I used hok paint first time, and believe me, it was expensive but nowhere near £3000. My bodyshop had all sorts of problems and he's by no means a bad sprayer. The hok suggested mix came out like p*ss water! So we adjusted the mix but my car suffered slight 'striping', then we ran out of candy so i was 2 coats short. This time, he's doing it right, and the paint and materials come to £1500.

This is candy apple, it is lovely..................under lights that is, its a bit like those little crystal orniments you get they look amazing under correct lighting. Oh and if you scratch it if I remember correctly its a full respray it cannot be touched up.

Most candys have other more coarse metalics based under them (a silver in this case for most reds) followed by the candy red on top, when u paint a candy u have to do it in one go, every candy paint job is individual and never the same.....so if u do need a panel respraying u usually end up painting half the car again to get it right!.....but they do look awesome;)

Thanks SupraAyf! It is very useful to see these numbers. Do you know who supplied the paint? !

I will find out for you tomorrow Sir!

Just one point but Candy is an amazingly difficult paint to apply correctly as it has to be applied in the most achievable dust-free environment possible as if dust particles get on the paint, then it will come out all crap and distorted.

A good number of body shops will claim that they can spray a candy but I will say now that most will cock it up. Even some of the best ones will say they can do it but you just wait for the results!

With the quantity of money involved, I would always recommend going to someone who has done a number of candy's 'successfully', prior to them attempting yours;)

Thanks again SupraAyf!

Someone mentioned the black with flake but there is already one over here (Suprahuman) and lovely though his car is, I wanted to have a special colour (because my car is ever so special)! It's kind of nice here as there are only 6 Supras in the whole island and all the other's are different colours so I would love to have mine in this candy red. Oh, it's so lovely!!

It's quite worrying about respraying after scratches, I wonder if this would up my insurance costs and would I need to declare the special paintwork?

Also, I have got gunmetal Ultralight 789's n there at the moment. I can't work out if this will look ok or truely awful.

Hi Geordie Steve,

It's just the outside being resprayed, nothing on the inside except the doors and door sills or door stops I think they are called. The engine bay will remain black.

BTW. I was told 4 litres of red paint and 6 litres of laquer with a coat of black under the red first.

Thanks!

Sarnia