The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Headlight clean?

Guest Phillw454

Guest Phillw454

Hi, does anyone know if theres a way to take the lenses off j spec headlights and just clean them up with some meths or bleach?

I know you can put them in the oven or something but dont really want to do that.

Yeah put them in the oven to melt the seal, not to much to melt the actual lights iirc then clean and then make sure you seal them correctly cause if you dont then they will be constantly misted up.

OOOOooooorrrrr contact Jon on here and he can do it for you for just over 100 notes

Guest gzaerojon

STOP!!! step away from the meths :scare:

have a go on the outside first using some T-cut or simular, they might come up a bit better, but don't use anything like meths/thinners ect or you WILL melt the plastic

If you want them off, then it's the oven i'm afraid. There is no way of separating them without softening the sealer with heat.

It's not that bigger hassle really, and is worth it once you've got nice shiny lights again. And while you have them apart why no go for the facelift treatment :)

Guest Phillw454

really dont wana stick them oven so Jon or facelift it is

I can see it now, J spec headlights, 200degrees for 20mins and then boom, a lovely casserole and new oven and lights required

I stuck mine in the oven, 80 degrees I seem to remember for 10 minutes, then last Sunday, some T-Cut and an hour and they've come up really well... Sprayed the insides black and this week I'll get round to putting them back together, it really is a lot easier than it sounds...

http://www.mr-pot.co.uk/pictures/random/headlightclean.jpg

Guest Phillw454
Used G3 polishing paste, but Tcut will do - just do it properly and long enough to scrub all crap :p

Wow they look great! But id have to have mine done in a day as i use the cr pretty much everday:( unless i can find a spare cheap set:)

I did mine myself came up really well, i was worried about the oven but its not as scary as i thought tbh they barely even get hot before the sealant starts to melt and you can prise them apart. Mines a daily drive like yours i bought some off here used them for a week whilst i refurbed my facelift lights and then sold them for the same so i didnt lose out which was great. Theres a pic of before and after here, its not too hard to do at all, cant be if i can do it:

after

Pics are a bit crap bit you get the idea, theres some great guides on here too if you do a quick search ;)

I don't think you'll have much hassle in doing it in a day, unless you're wanting to get the insides sprayed, in which case, you might get it done in a long day (Best to give the paint lots of time to dry if it's going into the oven again I guess?...)...

It took me 15 minutes to get the headlights off (I'm actually refurbing another set, but when I've had to take my lights out, that's all it took the first time), 10 minutes each in the oven with 5 minutes taking them apart, an hour to clean both (Possibly longer depending on how bad they are), then *Guessing now as I've only got this far* just time to get them warmed up again in the oven, add the sealant, and back together, then back in the car...

Obviously someone like gzaerojon can advise better on the timescales, but it sounds worse to do than it actually is...

Yes, that's what i did. Try outside before frying headlights.

Fair point... I stripped the set I have as I wanted the insides black, although most of it was on the inside... However, cleaning the outside first whilst on the car's a top idea as long as you don't mind your neighbours seeing you knelt down by your car moving in rythmn ;)...

However, cleaning the outside first whilst on the car's a top idea as long as you don't mind your neighbours seeing you knelt down by your car moving in rythmn ;)...

My neighbours already thinks I'm freak, because I'm washing my car every 3 days...