The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Trailering a Supe ??

SteveL

4 wheel trailer that has a weight limit well over the Supras weight. Tow vehicle should be rear wheel drive with little overhang, or 4 wd. I have towed them happily witha Volvo V90 estate, but the wifes 4 litre Jeep Cherokee is better. Expect to pay over 1000 for a trailer that is up to the job and not knackered. Sometimes ex hire ones are good buys. Hi-Line, PRG, Brian James all make quality ones, the best are some german make i forget, but they are very expensive. Forget a 2 wheel trailer unless you want to end up in a ditch, and forget el cheapo stuff, you get EXACTLY what you pay for with trailers!!!!

4 wheel trailer that has a weight limit well over the Supras weight. Tow vehicle should be rear wheel drive with little overhang, or 4 wd. I have towed them happily witha Volvo V90 estate, but the wifes 4 litre Jeep Cherokee is better. Expect to pay over 1000 for a trailer that is up to the job and not knackered. Sometimes ex hire ones are good buys. Hi-Line, PRG, Brian James all make quality ones, the best are some german make i forget, but they are very expensive. Forget a 2 wheel trailer unless you want to end up in a ditch, and forget el cheapo stuff, you get EXACTLY what you pay for with trailers!!!!

Thanks Chris - somehow I figured you'd know ;)

I'll have a look at the co's you mentioned ....

Yeah, I used a Brian James 4 wheel trailer as well, but the towing vehicle wasn't really up for the job, and it was a hard drive back.

Thanks Phoenix-One, wasn't sure about type of vehicle either, but I've a volvo 960 at the mo, so that should be ok.

Is it a turbo? I have one for spares if so, new turbo, new rebore and pistons, new shells, new oil pump, rebuilt auto box and convertor, new gearbox oil cooler, new water pump. All within last 15,000 miles. Cheap.... :) Oh, new windscreen and water rad, too. Would MOT fine, but currently expired. A bit like a builders yard / kennel inside.....Knows it's way to all UK circuits.

Is it a turbo? I have one for spares if so, new turbo, new rebore and pistons, new shells, new oil pump, rebuilt auto box and convertor, new gearbox oil cooler, new water pump. All within last 15,000 miles. Cheap.... :) Oh, new windscreen and water rad, too. Would MOT fine, but currently expired. A bit like a builders yard / kennel inside.....Knows it's way to all UK circuits.

... mines a non-turbo 24v - didn't know they made a turbo version!

:D

Exactly as Chris says.

Good brand, 4 wheel trailer & something with a bit of go. Your average family runabout isn't going to cut it, a Supra on a trailer is going to weigh 2 tonnes nearly.

Gaz.

Cheers Gaz, didn't think it was worth going down the 'cheap as chips' route... with the baby on the back it'd be nice to know that it'll get there in one piece !

2 tonnes.... better go and check the weight limits of a volvo 960!