The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New (small) plates

Gerry

How long will it take for Wiltshires finest to bust us ?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. How long will it take for Wiltshires finest to bust us ?

• A Week: No chance - Wiltshire plod are all bas**rds.
    • A Month: As option 1, but there slow bas**rds.
    • 3 Months: Most are OK, but wait till you meet "traffic"
    • Never: They have lots more pressing matters to do.

Putting some new plates on today (Soo's privates) Ooh-er..:)

They are "legal import size" depending on how you look at the DVLA rules, from http://www.craigsplates.com

But they have a BS mark and 64mm letters.

Plate size is 13" x 31/2".

So,.... how soon do you think it will take before we are pulled for crime of the centuary.

Poll attached (if I've done it right) !

Cheers

G

Is that size the same as bike plate size? Pretty sure they are the same as mine so it will be interesting to see how you get on before I release mine :D

Of course I physically can't fit a bigger plate on the back of mine as the kit restricts it so that law counts double for me

I had bike ones on mine before i got the ones on it now..

got pulled on the way back from getting my kit fitted.. only had the plate on there 1 hour! managed to get away with it saying i had a propper plate on the way and i had only just picked the car up amd it was a temp' measure..

true to their work mr plod drove past my house a week later and saw the same Pc checking my plate...

Edit: yes rosie its a bit bigger than a bike plate

Is that size the same as bike plate size? Pretty sure they are the same as mine so it will be interesting to see how you get on before I release mine :D

Of course I physically can't fit a bigger plate on the back of mine as the kit restricts it so that law counts double for me

Does that mean that if they stop you they will have to give you £60.00 :D

See craigs plates for details of Import sizes...

Cheers

G

I've always taken the approach that I'd do anything NOT to get pulled, just in case they start poking around to find something else to do me on.

No cats for instance?

Sounds sense, but at the moment we're fully legal, two cats and everything...:)

So worth the risk...

If its not for cosmetic reasons and more for 'practical' why not keep the plates the right size but coat them in reflective spray?

That way you avoid drawing attention to the car....and if you are ever unlucky enough to get pulled and they challenge you over the plates...........

"mr officer man, this car has has 3 owners, someone else must have sprayed them" :innocent:

From a penalty point of view you're better off with no plate at all. You can get 3 points for an undersize plate but cannot get points for a missing one.

You may get a rectification notice for either offence, on the 3rd one they will award you with a Q plate which cannot be changed.

In nearly 3 years I've been pulled once for no plate (in 35k miles) and received a rectification notice (Not really an issue ;) ). Another notice will mean I have to stick a proper plate on.

From a penalty point of view you're better off with no plate at all. You can get 3 points for an undersize plate but cannot get points for a missing one.

You may get a rectification notice for either offence, on the 3rd one they will award you with a Q plate which cannot be changed.

In nearly 3 years I've been pulled once for no plate (in 35k miles) and received a rectification notice (Not really an issue ;) ). Another notice will mean I have to stick a proper plate on.

I thought you just got fined £30 and given a VDRS for a small plate? I have one the size of a postage stamp on mine. May remove it all together if I what Homer says is true!!

H.

I thought you just got fined £30 and given a VDRS for a small plate? I have one the size of a postage stamp on mine. May remove it all together if I what Homer says is true!!

H.

Don't take my word for it, but I'm almost certain this is correct. I can't find the thread right now, but I'm sure Doug confirmed this a few months back.

Ive had black & silver (tax exempt plates) on my supra for over 6 months now, and not been pulled by the fuzz yet!

However I do have a little story to tell........lol

On my old Audi A6 I used to have a front no. plate on the rear as in white & black, I got pulled over one day by the cops and it turned out they couldn't do anything about it, apart from give me a warning....it turns out they have a fixed penalty/fine sheet to work from with illegal no.plates, if your plate does not fall into a category I.e wrong size, italic's etc, they basically cant do anything other than warn u to take them off.

I know that my plates are legal... just not on my 94' supra!

I am told I would get away with it in the sameway I did with my Audi....im sure I will find out one day:innocent:

Also as far as im aware the max u can done for is a £30 on the spot fine for dodgee plates.....well unless the law has changed in the last 6 months anyway?

I've heard that a PC can issue a rectification notice / producer which could mean taking your car for an MOT to prove its road worthy (ie: there is a plate/right size/right places etc) :blink: if they really take a dislike to you.