The mkiv Supra Owners Club

4 point racing belts

bammbamm

I was pulled over in my 106 which had race harness's in, and I asked the policeman whether they were legal or not.. and the unsure answer was, provided they are installed in re-inforced places like the original seatbelts were and they are certified harnesses then there should not be a major problem.

See my ad for a 6 point harness in the for sale section http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=103678

And yes, they are legal as long as they are E marked (but nobody will check).

What you can do is fit harnesses and keep the standard seatbelts too, so you'll have the best of both worlds..... although it will look like you're not wearing a seatbelt when you have harness the harness on ;)

Any decent harness will pass the MOT, and as Phoenix-One says, fit proper weld in mounting plates if you don't use the standard mounting points or the rear seatbelt nount points (if you need them I have 2 old anchor plates that need a bit of rust taking off, but are fine).

although it will look like you're not wearing a seatbelt when you have harness the harness on ;)

That was the exact reason I got pulled over, the bloke saw my factory seatbelt just hanging and assumed I didn't have it on. When he walked over and spotted me strapped into the seat with harness then laughed.

Proceeded to do a complete vehicle check with a trainee he had, they did ask if it was okay for training purposes, and I wasn't in any rush. Quite fascinating to see the level they go to when they check the numbers on an indepth check.

You really don't want to use harnesses on the road all the time anyway - you can't look behind you, lean forward to look at junctions etc. In fact if you have them very tight, which is the only way you should ever have them or they can be very dangerous you can hardly move at all. Just leave the normal ones in too.

The harnesses with plastic push button release (like the standard ones) tend to be road legal, the quick release turn ones with metal buckles are not.

The eye bolts can hold the std belts in as well as being an anchor for the multi-point harness, can't they??

Correct, most of the mount points used I replaced with the bolts that came in the kit, there was just one bolt on each seat that I had to have welded.