The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Petrol Cap Release

R3DG3CKO ROB

Went to top the car up with V power this morning (to get some more top trumps) and the outer hatch won't open... I'm pulling the lever next to the boot release but nothings happening... I've got 3/4 of a tank left so I'm ok for a few days but I'm gonna be dry by the weekend... :(

Has anyone else had this problem? Any Suggestions?

Cable has probably jammed a bit, stretched or the cold weather is making it difficult to open on the lock side (or all 3!!).

Try getting someone to push gently on the flap while you hold the release lever open, then while still holding the release lever open prise the flap out with fingers??? Or get it into somewhere warm?? Or both???

Once open treat it all to a good dose of WD40 then spray grease :D

Also had this problem with another Toyota (not Supra).

There was a small stip of spring steel that is used to spring the flap out, the cable only pulls back a latch.

The spring part had come away so the flap stays put when releasing it rather than springing away to an open position.

Not sure if there is the same set up on the Supra or if the spring is located around the hinge area?

Worth a look anyway mate;)

Paul

I had this and as Paul says, it's probably the spring plate. Get some to prise it open while you pull the latch.

On mine, I just had to bend the spring steel out a bit more so it had enough 'spring' to push the cover out :)