The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Law on your car idling

Geo

Think this might be a question for Classone??

So the law states that if your car is idling Unnecessary then you will be given a fine, is that correct??

But what if you have set your Turbo Timer to switch off after a certain time and your not around, how does the law see this??

Might be a repost guys if so, Soz!

G.

Yeah but all this talk about going green and stuff, by right you can still get fined??

yeah, by rights you could.

you could also be done for a fair amount of other things that you don't or would consider hard done by if you were.

just take it easy for the last few miles before you park up...simple as mate ;)

Road Traffic law maybe slightly different in Scotland, but in England and Wales it is an offence to leave your vehicle running either attended uncessarily except in traffic or unattended (quitting).

It's a non endorsable offence (iirc). Turbo timers should be set up so that you can't lock your vehicle and walk away whilst it's running.

Unless the law has changed in the last 6 years then you can be prosecuted for "Quitting", ie leaving the engine running whilkst you are not in the vehicle.

I am not sure that if you are on your own drive if this applies. If you are on a public road, then your are actually committing an offence!

*Waits to be corrected!!*

H.

Road Traffic law maybe slightly different in Scotland, but in England and Wales it is an offence to leave your vehicle running either attended uncessarily except in traffic or unattended (quitting).

It's a non endorsable offence (iirc). Turbo timers should be set up so that you can't lock your vehicle and walk away whilst it's running.

Nice one mate, that clears things up.

Glasgow are clamping down on this, and i normaly leave the car running for a min or 2, lock it, then leave.

Won't be doing that anymore.

Cheers.

i have heard that they have forggot to wipe out some of the old laws..

i have been told that for a mot you need a barrel of hay in your boot..lol

one of many silly laws which have not been deleted..

i would not worry my self about the law of running your car...not being funny but how many of us obey the speed limit all the time???????

I had trouble with a neighbour complaining about me warming my car in the mornings (winter) a while back.

So I gave Cambridgeshire Police a ring and spoke to one of their traffic cops.

He said there was no reason why I couldn't run my car in the morning, even unattended as long as it was on my drive.

I have Clifford alarm with remote start so don't need to worry about some one nicking it.

I had trouble with a neighbour complaining about me warming my car in the mornings (winter) a while back.

So I gave Cambridgeshire Police a ring and spoke to one of their traffic cops.

He said there was no reason why I couldn't run my car in the morning, even unattended as long as it was on my drive.

I have Clifford alarm with remote start so don't need to worry about some one nicking it.

I thought it was bad to warm your car up from cold, something to do with carbon build up. You should just start her up, check everything is ok then drive off taking it easy until warm.

Nice one mate, that clears things up.

Glasgow are clamping down on this, and i normaly leave the car running for a min or 2, lock it, then leave.

Won't be doing that anymore.

Cheers.

don't boost- take it easy 2 min/miles before you arrive at you destination. no need then to leave it idling.:sly:

I thought it was bad to warm your car up from cold, something to do with carbon build up. You should just start her up, check everything is ok then drive off taking it easy until warm.

is this true as i`ve always let my car warm up a little have done this with every turbo car i`ve owned.