The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help - Just had a shunt!

BASHTHEBISHOP

On the way home from work today a slow speed shunt into the car in front queueing at a roundabout in Bristol.

1st impressions was it was pretty bad but on a closer look i think i have been lucky but i have a couple of questions i am hoping people can answer. Most of the impact was to the passenger side front just caving in the front bumper slightly(it pulled out again pretty easily but is split).

Almost instantly some fluid appeared which i think is coolant through the gap under the front indicators.

I also lost power steering very quickly(we drove down the road a few hundred yards to somewhere safer to pull over)

In what little light there was left i can see 1 pipe(corragted outer) behind/ under the headlight dangling.

Is it likely i have severed the pipes or have they just been knocked off where they came from.

I am certain i have lost all coolant as i was getting a burbling noise from behind the dash when starting the car again later on(and it has leaked a fair whack of fluid).

Best advice for a stressed supra owner please:rolleyes:

I have had to leave the car the otherside of Bristol but am hopeing i can return there tomorrow and at least get it driveable and perhaps get it down to Jody T for a check over.

Bad luck mate.

What was the liquid like - water, or more oily?

I'd guess the liquid was most likely your washer bottle since that sits just behind and below the passenger headlight.

The other pipes in that area is you PAS cooler.

The only "corregated" pipes in that area are the plastic coverings that go over the wiring for stuff like the horn.

Best to get a few pics up, with the headlight and maybe bumper removed, should be east enough to pic out whats been damaged from there.

Where abouts in bristol? Ive got a big van at the mo and could tow it for you.

Thanks for the offer. Its at the holiday inn just off the m32 towards the UWE. I am hoping i wont need it but ty;)

Bad luck mate.

What was the liquid like - water, or more oily? - Definitely more oily.

The other pipes in that area is you PAS cooler. -This could be the coolant leak then?

The only "corregated" pipes in that area are the plastic coverings that go over the wiring for stuff like the horn. - Dash showed no faults and i couldnt find anything not working other than the power steering.

Best to get a few pics up, with the headlight and maybe bumper removed, should be east enough to pic out whats been damaged from there.

I will try and get some pics if i cant sort it tomorrow.

I am hoping i can take the headlight out - reconnect/replace pipes - top up with coolant & power steering fluid and thats it! But i am usually not that lucky lol

Its more than likely you may have just caught the PAS cooling pipe. If you find you need a new one give me a shout, loads in stock, got a few rads in stock should that have got caught too. ;)

Thanks.

If i just take the headlight out will it be obvious that its the PAS coolant pipe? If so how much for a next day delivery(or i can just give you a call tomorrow)

I prey i havent done the rad to as its only 6mnths old.

Thanks.

If i just take the headlight out will it be obvious that its the PAS coolant pipe? If so how much for a next day delivery(or i can just give you a call tomorrow)

I prey i havent done the rad to as its only 6mnths old.

The PAS pipes travel around the n/s chassis leg and right on the edge they turn from alloy to rubber, its usually the rubber pipe that gets caught right on the edge. Get some piccies mate and we'll assess. :)

After going back to the car today i have found the following.

The pipe had been knocked off 1 end & severed at the other.

I will have to replace the front bumper at some point and a new front plate. I have checked the rad and it seems fine.

Jody T has been a great help today and even has a replacement bumper lined up to go on the car next week.

Thanks

Mark

DSC00686.JPG