The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Boot Noise ?

imi-7

Hey All,

I have a weird 'rattling' sound coming from rear drivers side of the car. I have had a mechanic look at it and he has ruled out all the usual stuff ie wheel bearings, suspension struts etc. What happens is that as soon as the car moves there is a rumbling/rattling noise as if there is something loose in the panel (there is nothing btw - I have checked), and it gets worse over bumps etc.

Someone said to me it could be Boot rubbers ?? Has anyone else had a similar problem? How was it fixed?

Please Help - this noise is really getting annoying ! :confused: :confused:

Hi

I had this horrible rattling noise, sometimes it was worse than others.It was very annoying. I got some lower boot rubbers from Ebay , the lower ones are the soft rubbers that can perish, the upper ones are solid and dont tend to be problematic.

It made a vast difference to mine, it doesnt rattle at all now.

They are a bit of a pain to fit though as the original screws seem to be glued in.

You could try tapeing them up with some insulation tape in the short term to see if the extra padding quitens it up .

Thanks - I'll give the insultation tape a try for now. Thick Q but the lower rubbers are the ones nearest the the tail lights? Where are the Upper ones - on the actual boot lid?

Can you recommend any ebay stores where I can pick up these boot rubbers from?

Cheers

The screws are Ba***rds to get out. Theve got loctite on them (a sort of plastic compound, that goes hard when it cools down) you could remove them very carefuly with an impact driver which takes about 2 hours if you dont want to dent your car, oy you could warm up the screws first....

Guest pete g

yeah ill second that they are a ba***rd to get out!!! i threaded every single screw trying to get them out as they are so tight!! if you do that you have to hack away at the rubber with a stanley blade to expose the top of the screw and with a small hacksaw put a slit in the screw head. they should now come out easy using a philips.

hope this helps but that is definitely the problem with the rattle, drove me insane for months!!!!!!

Yes I went straight to a Toyota main Dealer. They were embaressed when they said £30 for the 4. I said £30 ill give you £300 if you stop that F****ng ratelling. I took out all the interior plastic and looked between the skins thinking the spanner that was missing from my toolkit was making all the noise.

Mine were B*****S. Ended up drilling them out very carefully. managed to salvage most of the threaded insert. Replaced all fixings with Stainless and lots of antiseize. Even managed to get nylock nuts on the inside of the wing.

It was only then that I dropped my spanner and it dissapeared from sight.

TIP: When using a spanner in a confined space where it could drop out of sight, or worse, reach, tie a bit of light cord to the spanner and somewhere out in the open at the other end.

You can now play that excellent trick, spoon, jar, jar, spoon. (appologies to Tommy Cooper)