The mkiv Supra Owners Club

lockup switch

2jzhead

It's really for use with a hi stall torque converter - it lets you stop slippage on motorway runs etc by locking the TC 1:1 direct drive with the autobox.

For example, say you have a 4,000 stall TC (like me) and you wanna cruise around 3,000 RPM on the motorway... without the lockup switch the TC would still be slipping and when you accelerate to overtake you'd get even more slippage 'til the point of lockup. This is bad as you're effectively super heating the autobox fluid so the lockup switch lets you induce lockup when you want..... I tend to get into 4th (O/D) on the Mway then straight away engage lockup via my lockup switch. You can tell the difference when you accelerate that there's no slipping going on.

HTH,

Brian.

Replace it with an uprated boostlogic Toyota based autobox or TH400 autobox conversion or the other option is to do a manual conversion as the 6-Sp Getrag can cope with some serious torque.

You'll also need a hi stall torque converter to get the best out of a big single turbo - stall speed you pick depends on what you wanna use the car for and when the turbo is likely to hit full boost - the 'laggier' the turbo, the higher stall speed TC you tend to pick.

Cheers,

Brian.

Guest sindrejl

What will happend when you've locked up the system and the box suddenly decides to change gear? nothing? or will the ecu automaticly unlock it for gearing? I've tried to study how the TQ works but not sure what will happend in a scenario like this :)

i run a BL box with a 3200 stall (T61) and thought i would fit a lock up but haven't felt the need, there is the odd occasion it would be usefull but with a 3200 stall i think you can just about get away without, any higher on the stall and i am sure you would need one