The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Custom Exhausts??

jakewebster

Friend on mine works for a local place that has started making custom exhausts. Think they are powerflows, anyway wondered if anyone has had good or bad experience of custom exhausts on their TT?

Im away to go BPU so is this a good route for me to take?

Any advise welcome!!!

:search:

Powerflow exhausts are what people use on Novas and Saxos. For a supra it's not about cutting corners. My suggestion to you is to get a jap exhaust thats made for power. They might be custom made but there is no performance side of the exhausts except to sound stupidly loud and make you look silly. I know i had one once, never again. But i guess we are only young once :D

We had a custom one done on Iain2010s TT 5Speed, Money got a bit tight after the conversion so he had no option... THe car made 397bhp (Fly) and is quick...

This system cost just over half of the cost of a NUR for example, I think it does depend who is making it. In the past i had a twin exit system on an old Calibra, The quality was poor, it sounded raspy and crap and kept breaking...

So Its all about the fabricator IMO... But yes the custom systems are not as good as the Aftermarket ones but sometimes money talks....

I have had a purpose built stainless steel performance exhaust put on by BlueFlame Performance (you can actually see my car on their web site: http://www.blueflameperformance.com/car/exhausts/custom_exhausts.asp

Fantastic exhaust, but not cheap, plus they need the car for best part of a day.

I used to have a HKS SuperDragger, which to be honest looked good but the mild steel section just rotted away (pretty rubbish for the money)

The Powerflow stuff if just `bolt and build` bits that they cobble together to make it fit. Do youself a favour and save some more cash to get a true performance custom exhaust.

Also depends on the size of the pipe used. I think powerflow are usually 2" but most jap are 3". You see alot of nova's going round with 5 inch backboxe's but dont realise that they're going slower the bigger they get. It's all about backpressure. Thats why the HKS superdragger does not include fitments for a NOVA! :p

Mine has a full Custom exhaust but it came like it from Japan. Not sure who made it but it is awesome. I had a brand new HKS super drager on my last Supra and would have my custom exhaust over any aftermarket exhaust out there. Suppose I might have got lucky with this one tho. This way I have a very unique sounding Supra (not silly loud either)

Just my two pennies worth :)

I think it depends what you want, there are lots of companies out there that make custom exhausts. I have a custom cat back on mine from JP exhausts and its fantastic. Its not got any low profile parts under the car to tw*t on daft large lumps of tarmac in the middle of the road ;)

Generally speaking theres a lot of bollocks talked about, and snob value attached to performance exhausts for turbo cars, exotic materials and names attached, granted light weight helps a race car, as for design, as long as it is of a reasonable diameter and mandrel bent without restrictions there will not be much in it when it comes to power, you could even have a very short pipe and still get the same power, there are a very few well thought about designs that actually taper the system towasds the end that work well, but other than that its all to do with keeping it within reasonable noise limits that separates the power differentials from one design to another, i have just swapped from a very expensive system to a very cheap one, because i wanted it slightly quieter, and i would lay money on there not being more that a couple of bhp in it, in fact a friend thinks its quicker.

Like Jody said mine is custom made and the quality is fantastic and i like the fact its different. I had a powerflow one on before and it was shocking! I would advise you against getting one from them

Is your car done now mate?... If so I'd love to see it!...

On another note, yeah, it's all about who's making the exhaust, I will admit to asking Thor about the benefits vs cost of a Powerflow exhaust, after being fucked about truely by Longlife with a system for my old Calibra... It's obvious with cars like ours, even us NA owners should put something worthwhile on instead of a £300+ build it and bodge it set, especially when it's a part that concerns the engine...

That's why Jody's going to take his exhaust off and sell it to me!...

I have had a purpose built stainless steel performance exhaust put on by BlueFlame Performance (you can actually see my car on their web site: http://www.blueflameperformance.com/car/exhausts/custom_exhausts.asp

Fantastic exhaust, but not cheap, plus they need the car for best part of a day.

I used to have a HKS SuperDragger, which to be honest looked good but the mild steel section just rotted away (pretty rubbish for the money)

The Powerflow stuff if just `bolt and build` bits that they cobble together to make it fit. Do youself a favour and save some more cash to get a true performance custom exhaust.

Hey, is your old superdragger the one they have the picture of in the Blueflame waiting room as an example of how poor quality they are?

I had one built by blueflame and as you say, took them the whole day and mine cost about £350, but I am very happy with it. These guys build OEM for TVR and Bentley among others and do understand exhausts. They also build bike exhausts for various pro racing teams I believe. It comes with a lifetime warranty so long as it's on the car. I had considerable input to the build and the builder in charge of my car kept coming into the waiting area to keep me informed and asking me various questions regarding my requirments. You can say how loud you want it and you get a choice of pipe diameters, although they do tell you what will be best for your car as it is at the time, but at the end of the day the choice is yours.

I was put onto blueflame by a mate who runs a TVR and would recomend them to anyone.

Hey, is your old superdragger the one they have the picture of in the Blueflame waiting room as an example of how poor quality they are?QUOTE]

LOL, probably!!!

If the mild steel section is full of holes then yes....its my old one. I did a deal with them so they could keep my old system as a pattern.

To be honest I really liked the look of the SuperDragger but the quality was awful.

Glad you like your system from them, I also found them to be really helpful and would definately recommend them.

I got one built at JP exhausts in Macclesfield and I love it. Its not too loud and everyone always comments on what a nice sound it has. I had a mid section and backbox made and it cost me about £450. I has a HKS on before and this one is so much better. It doesn't catch on humps etc as much now. I woul;d recommend them to anybody.

Just off the phone to them Vil, gave me a good enough price for the whole system.

The system would have both cats out, when i started spesking about restrictor rings he seemed confused and said he has made the system many times with no problems. Did you put a restrictor ring in yours? Do i trust what he says about not requiring one?

I will obviously be able to tell if it is boosting high on the boost gauge but want someone who knows what they are doing!