The mkiv Supra Owners Club

turbo damaged?

simonas

I initially thought my car had blown head gasket and dodgy garage told me it was and would cost £2000!!! My mate has checked car as much as he can ie hoses not hard no bubbling water no water in oil water level not dropped etc and is of the opinion its turbo related.

When I'm at lights the car has started smoking blue smoke. and when I pull away there is a puff of smoke left behind. It isn't all the time but it is noticeable over last couple of days. I.

I'm going to check the imeller of first turbo to see how that is. Can anyone suggest any tests or make any suggestions for me?

If its a turbo and probably first as second reasonably new and smoke comes on low in rev range as I've been taking it so easy... how much are they rouighly to buy and have fitted???

Thanks

Sounds like turbo seals, or at very worst, piston rings.

If you have the cat off your car, put it back on, this will increase your backpressure and stop your turbo seals passing oil (as much). If you do this and it stops smoking then least you know what it is ;)

Guest L33JSA

Hi all

It was me that had a quick look at Simon's car for him.

Checked all the usual headgasket symptons - no oil in water, water in oil, doesnt misfire on cold startup, no water loss, no bubbles in tank etc

Was sat behind him for a mile or so & every so often as he pulled up at lights or a junction it let out a very small amount of blue smoke, and then occasionally did it as he started to pull off.

I've asked him to take off the front pipe on the turbo and check play in the shaft up/down - in/out also this might also show if theres any oil in the inlet pipe - hence showing worn turbo.

Very doubtful its stem oil seals as it appears that alot of money was spent 11months ago on a virtually full engine rebuild - headgaskets, rings etc - another reason to think that theres a good chance it aint any of that - the only thing that wasnt touched was the turbos.

What are the turbos like to change then?? I had a quick look and it doesnt look too bad once the covers removed etc!!

Actually that does sound like valve stem oil seals... Turbo oil leaks manifest under boost, valve stems when it's been sat idling for a bit and you accelerate. If they are really leaky then they could smoke at idle. When on the power the cylinder pressures keep the oil out for the most part.

Just because someone says the stem seals have been done and have charged for it doesn't mean they have ;)

Personally I'd rather do the stem seals twice than swap those bloody stock turbos once! And it's

-Ian

Personally I'd rather do the stem seals twice than swap those bloody stock turbos once!

:yeahthat: :p

As Ian pointed out, a lot of money thrown at the egine does not mean they were changed, unless the valvetrain had extensive work carried out. From what has been said the engine work was mainly bottom end related.

refitting the cat would maybe help eliminate the turbo seals line......

running with worn valve stems seals is not really a problem, worn turbo seals may suddenly go at some point with rapid oil loss ie potentially damaging to the engine.........

• 2 weeks later...

The smoking is getting worse now. Hopefully taking it to a guy this weekend to check it over. At the lights and in queues there is quite a lot of smoke coming out now t the point where it is quite embarrassing.

the water hasn't gone down anymore, oil seems to be ok still has power on the one time Ihad to use it in last couple of weeks!!!

Does it smoke a fair bit when you start it up for the first time? If so, then stem seals no doubt about it. It may be that one or more of the seals was installed slightly loose when they were replaced, and so is still letting some oil in. Or maybe they didn't remove the broken off bits off rubber from the original seals.

Does it smoke a fair bit when you start it up for the first time? If so, then stem seals no doubt about it. It may be that one or more of the seals was installed slightly loose when they were replaced, and so is still letting some oil in. Or maybe they didn't remove the broken off bits off rubber from the original seals.

It does but tends to be worse on the second jouney I make in the day after it has been parked up outside work for 20 mins???