The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Coolant!

Havard

I have had my car for about 6 weeks and today I noticed that the coolant level was below minimum. There is a little bit in the bottle when cold and then obviously a higher level when it expands.

How do I go about topping this up. Do you put in pre-mixed coolant or a 50/50 mixture with water?

Also, would this have a bearing as to why my heaters have been shit for the last week?

I can't find any losses inside the car but tbh I have hardly been under the bonnet since I got it as I have only done about 200 miles in it!

H.

I don't want to be pissing about doing a full draindown either tbh. I will get some of the green stuff and top it up. I was planning to put it in for a decent service in the summer anyway.

The question is still "How will it affect your heater output?"

H.

Airlocks are the most obvious reason for poor heater performance together with a leaking heater matrix.

Some people pull off the heater hoses just before they go through the bulkhead in order to pour some coolant in.

Is there an idiots guide on here on how to do this. I looked yesterday and there wee pipes running everywhere. The two black pipes 3/4" diameter right at the back of the engine were fooking hot but the also seem to link into other pipes??

Or if I took a photo could somebody point out the pipes I should be topping up. Your help is greatly appreciated!!

H.

Is there an idiots guide on here on how to do this. I looked yesterday and there wee pipes running everywhere. The two black pipes 3/4" diameter right at the back of the engine were fooking hot but the also seem to link into other pipes??

Or if I took a photo could somebody point out the pipes I should be topping up. Your help is greatly appreciated!!

H.

Good idea, would like to top mine up too. Anyone out there that can do an idiots guide? :search:

Ive got a spare bottle of the toyota stuff mate if you want it.

Oooh, was going to nip out to Halfrauds tonight. How much did it set you back mate?

I may nip over, then again the cars going nowhere till Saturday anyway, but the curiosity is killing me.

H.

Can't you just top it up a bit with de-ionized water? Open the expansion tank, pour some in and take the rad cap off and make sure that's topped up to the brim too. Go for a run, let it cool down and see where the level is.

Don't understand the bit about pulling hoses off??

Can't you just top it up a bit with de-ionized water? Open the expansion tank, pour some in and take the rad cap off and make sure that's topped up to the brim too. Go for a run, let it cool down and see where the level is.

Don't understand the bit about pulling hoses off??

Thanks for that mate. After looking under the bonnet I don't understand the cooling system tbh. As a heating engineer I woud have expected the reservoir to be the highest point, but the pipes nearest to the windshield seem to be the highest and I would therefore expect an air lock to congragate there.

Somebody tell me it is not logical like that!!

H.

You can hear air locks in the system- sounds like water running behind the dash.

Try getting a large necked plastic bottle and cutting the bottom off, turing it upside-down and putting it where the rad cap fits (a nice fit is what you want). Turn the engine on and as the level rises up into the upturned bottle the air should bubble out of the system.

Worked for me, when I had the nosie of running water behind the dash. Was worried it may be head gasket, but all quiet now :)

You can hear air locks in the system- sounds like water running behind the dash.

Try getting a large necked plastic bottle and cutting the bottom off, turing it upside-down and putting it where the rad cap fits (a nice fit is what you want). Turn the engine on and as the level rises up into the upturned bottle the air should bubble out of the system.

Worked for me, when I had the nosie of running water behind the dash. Was worried it may be head gasket, but all quiet now :)

I take it this is after topping up the coolant bottle!! I have not heard any air lock type noises from behind the dash. I don't know if I have lost that much coolant as I can't remember checking it when I bought the car.!!:(

H.

If the hose in to the heater matrix and the one coming out are both hot then I doubt that you have an airlock in the heater system

I am not sure if I was touching the right pipes tbh. Should there be a sliver connector linking the pipes together. ?I thought there would be one pipe in/one out but there are a couple running together?

H.

Think it was £15 from toyota. You can have it mate, dont want anything for it, may let you buy me a pint at Mascrat :)

Thats very good of you mate, but I'll have to see you straight!;) I take it I can just put this stuff straight in then?

H.

Yup just drain the old stuff off and fill up with this. Unless its the same stuff in which case you can just top up.

Aaaahh!! Can't tell what the original stuff was as there is next to sod all in the coolant bottle. Worries me where it went too!!:rolleyes:

I'll give you a bell over the weekend!!

H.