The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Turbo Rebuilds?

Tricky-Ricky

I would highly recommend Turbo Technics for stock based turbo rebuilds.

I have worked with Universal Turbos in the past and found them to be generally pleasant and knowledgeable.

Must admit from talking to both that i found both companies to be polite and helpfull, universal Turbos gave me a much better sense of knowing their stuff.

Yep blue smoke is normally turbo seals, while white smoke is normally valve stem seals.

Sorry guv but that's plain old wrong :)

Blue smoke is burning oil. White smoke is burning coolant.

Valve stem seals = blue smoke when starting the car and when pulling away after sitting idling. The high engine vacuum draws oil past the seals and burns it.

Turbo seals = blue smoke when on power and sometimes on overrun. The pressure or vacuum in the exhaust system, depending on how buggered your seals are, causes oil to leak into the exhaust system and burn there.

White smoke = head gasket leak, introducing coolant into the cylinders.

-Ian

Valve stem seals = blue smoke when starting the car and when pulling away after sitting idling. The high engine vacuum draws oil past the seals and burns it.

Turbo seals = blue smoke when on power and sometimes on overrun. The pressure or vacuum in the exhaust system, depending on how buggered your seals are, causes oil to leak into the exhaust system and burn there.

-Ian

That'll teach me from looking through previous threads then, there seems to a lot of contradictions.

-Ian

Bookmarked for future reference :thumbs:

-Ian

Not sure I agree Ian.

When I spoke to Greg @Turbofit re my car and the plumes of white smoke, he was pretty confident that it was an oil seal leak on my turbos, going down the downpipe and being re-burnt on startup in the exhaust. I can't see any traces of blue smoke at all TBH.

It hasn't smoked again for a while, only a little condensation on startup and occasionally some white smoke under boost.

I've done all the usual checks. Coolant in rad seems fine, no traces of oil etc and Head Gasket fine.

It's going into Turbofit next weekend so guess I'll find out then! :)

Thanks,

Greg