The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advice on my car - yes, blooming induction kits!

Sheefa

Right,

Straight up, looked through the threads and the general opinion is bin them! :) Mine was fitted prior to me owning the car, it's a BLITZ full induction kit. Now yes, it looks OK and makes a nice whoosh sound - but as you guys know I'm purely going for reliability at the moment!

I did however read in Autocar recently, that there's a negative myth surrounding induction kits, when in actual fact, they CAN be bloody good bits of kit. I'll try and scan the article in.

Pic attached of my engine bay. As you can see, a good heatshield has also been fitted next to it to stop it sucking in hot engine air. It also has some random ducting under the drivers side headlight - stock I don't know?

Basically, should I play it simple and remove it for a stock air box, or leave it how it is?

I'm not going above BPU with Hybrids so no real need for "If you want to crack 500bhp" comments please. ;)

Thanks guys.

Greg

INDUCTION.JPG

I eventually took ChrisW's advice and took mine off and replaced it with a stock box.

It ran a lot better, especially in hot weather. I wouldn't think twice, take the thing off :) New one from Toyota isn't cheap though, worth sourcing one second hand if you can.

I've kept the stock box on my GTR too.

i don't think you're gonna be harming your engine much with the K&N mate.

if it was a HKS mushroom then i'd say bin it straight away but you should be okay with this.

Hmmm, maybe. Sorry it's a BLITZ one, not K&N. First post edited :)

Hmmm, maybe. Sorry it's a BLITZ one, not K&N. First post edited :)

iirc the Blitz one was ok too as far as filtration goes.

as has been said though you'll probably be sucking in more warm air than you'd like to so although it might not be harming your engine it's more than likely to be doing your performance no good.

Just to add to whats already been said, mine ran far smoother in traffic after going from an Apexi to stock airbox. There was a gain of 1 fwhp after on the dyno after swapping to the stock system and filter, though this test was performed 1 year later.

Its the off boost/in traffic response which was very noticably improved after going back to stock.

Well i proved a point to myself last week, my car came with an induction kit, i promptly made a fairly substantial heat shield, and shortly after put a thermocouple beside the filter, and found that i was getting temps of anything from 29C on a cold day to 50C:( on a hot day, i have just recently bought a std air feed that goes to the air box and was pleasantly surprised to see ambient temps from the thermocouple when traveling at 40MPH and over, obviously heat soak is still a problem when moving slow or stationary, just like it would be with a std air box, but the air feed is staying, even if it does look a bit strange.

I'd go back to stock with stock or TRD filter element, if you need a price for a new one let me know.

I also have a 2nd hand stock airbox off my car available. Okay conditional, though the hinge on the lid has broken where they always seem to do.

It's all down to the filtration properties Greg.

PiperX foam style filters need to me impregnated with oils etc. Most people neglect them and leave them. The foam filtration will always bad compared to paper elements.

Mine had a SARD filter on - which to my surprise Chris didn't poopoo entirely "At least it has a paper element" was the response. ;)

I've gone back to a stock box though as my SARD was stupidly expensive to replace the filter of and was well and truly used.

Consider this. It only takes a few grains of grit or sand to screw your turbo up.

Just leave it mate...... Stick a temperature probe (you can get them at Maplin for very cheap money) in the filter and see how warm it gets compared to ambient (a temp readout with ambient and the probe is best;)).

It would be interesting if two people did this, one with an aftermarket induction kit and one with the stock airbox. Would be interesting to see the differences in temps.

It would be interesting if two people did this, one with an aftermarket induction kit and one with the stock airbox. Would be interesting to see the differences in temps.

I'll give it a go with an unshielded K&N, then box it in and do it again.

If someone has a std airbox on Jspec a TT auto I can then send them the temp measurement stuff. Ideally the test would need to be done at the same ambient temps on the same route, but offsets can be applied to test results to make them similar.

EDIT: The whassname you want for measuring the temps is from Maplin.co.uk and is a L69AJ http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ITAG=SPEC&ModuleNo=34932&doy=14m3#spec

http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/Full/L69aj.jpg

Looks quite cool I think ;) Anyone up for one???????? Only £9.99

Same old arguement

On a TT you may get heat soak probs which is why you will get all TT owners telling you to remove them

where as on a NA you benefit hugley ( in my case i did ) although many will disagree .. But the proof was there on my NA it worked well with the proper Heatsheilds and cold Air feed having a hard pipe made by Turbofit as well to remove the nasty Rubber pipe and resonators vastly improved throttle response as well ( in my case anyway)

Well I have had the stock air box on for a little while with an apexi panel filter which was fine but when I put the induction kit on (also apexi) I got an increase in boost so to me the induction kit is a better thing to have. I have read the threads and I honestly dont know which is best, I think they both have their good and bad points and at the end of the day I think its all down to personnal preference and whether you want the extra noise and looks (I got an increase in boost too) or to know your intake temps are going to be stable. Heres a link to help you make your decision on induction kit's. The Blitz isnt the best for filtration and if your going to keep an induction kit I would go for a dry cotton type like the apexi. http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/ anyway, hope that helps.