The mkiv Supra Owners Club

VVTi NA do they exist?

Guest Dorian

Guest Dorian

Quite a few people have talked about the facelift non turbo supra having a VVTi engine but nobody seams to have one. I think this was true for the american market but jdm facelift non turbos have the normal lasre engine according to japanese brouchure. Has any seen or owns a right hand drive VVti NA pictures would be great. I have a 94 sz manual and was thinking of buying a face lift and thought VVti would be nice?

A guy on here has a 2002 vvti, I've asked for some pics so he will post up soon, and that would be the first RHD VVTI n/a engine pic I would have seen, it's weird though as I've seen countless 98/99/00's still with the non vvti engine :)

Just to add,

some pics, this one a 1998 n/a, no vvti engine

2001 n/a still no vvti,

now the guy that has the 2002 his is an SZ which was still a 5 speed where as the SZ-r got the 6 speed getrag after facelift so I thought maybe the SZ-r also got the VVTi too, but I'm not sure yet :)

Guest Dorian

I'm still on convinced as the picture of an american VVTi supra that i saw on the net had quite a diiference cam cover and had VVTi written on it. It looks like this one just says twin cam 24V?

I'm still on convinced as the picture of an american VVTi supra that i saw on the net had quite a diiference cam cover and had VVTi written on it. It looks like this one just says twin cam 24V?

Yep as Faye says, the US market got the vvti, weirder though is that other toyota's around the same time in Japan all got vvti's too,the soarer,chaser,aristo, so it looks like they never did with the n/a, we'll see though.

I've heard of some on the australian site but again no one has put up pics so they probably havent, this is the USDM vvti bay,