The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Geometry Issues......

Suprash

Guys, get the bloody engine and turbos running good and now Im plagued with geometry issues and am starting to loose site of what to do next or possibilities to try so thought I would pick your knowledgable brains..........:eyebrows:

Right I started to get a creaking noise on the front end, Phoenix checked all the usual suspect things like anti-roll bar, front sub frame bolts etc but couldnt find anything , Mark also said he can feel the car isnt true. Then we sent it off to get the geometry checked as Mark was sure it was this causing the front wheels to not work in realition to one another or causing stress on the front sub frame causing it to creek. So the guy set it up, said he could get 3 corners spot on but the front drivers side was causing some problems. The camber and toe he could get alright but it was something to do with the king pin, if thats right. Now this pin sits on the lower wish arm and he suspected that side of the car had taken a knock possible bending the lower wish and thus being the source of this geometry issues. Anyway he set it best he can with the king pin thing only being out a fraction, but straight away it felt so much straighter, like a dart and no creaking so I was happy.........

I arranged with Mark to get this lower wish arm replaced, but after a few days I literally felt the geometry settings slip back to what they was like before and could feel it on the front wheels, they just didnt feel true to each other but didnt worry as the following week the car was off to have the lower wish arm replaced.

So came the day that Mark replaced the lower wish arm and off to the geometry place where this time everything could be set up correctly, so all good I thought it must have been that lower wish arm.

Thing Im still getting a creaking noise and you can just feel the front wheels are right, when on full lock it feels like one wheel is turning a lot further then the other, under breaking the front end seriously gets dragged by camber, I mean a lot more then usual and due to something being a miss at the front end my discs keep warping.

Im due to go back to Marks in 2 weeks to have a full caliper refurb with new pistons to eleminate this issue warping the discs and at the same time she will go back to the geometry shop to get her settings checked, but fear this will show nothing.

Im running out of ideas, even thinking now about a NA I know sat somewhere that will be scrapped soon, but before it goes I was thinking about taking the whole front sub frame/lower/upper wish arms and replacing to see if that solves it.

Im now pretty sure the car has taken a bit of a wack at some point of its life as now I have filler cracking through the rear quarter, that with the drivers door doesnt seem to line up quite correctly when shut and now having found out the drivers front lower wish arm was bent, which I have been driving around for 5 years with.......concludes to me something has happened.......

Anyway its now getting to the stage where if I have to replace the front end then fuck it, it will be done, I just want this issue found and sorted now but its all getting a bit much for someone of my knowledge.........

Help guys as after this caliper refurn and re-check of geometry Im starting to loose faith in ever figuring this out......

Is there anywhere I can take it/people I can talk to......sorry for the long thread....:(

:D

Disc warping is NOT, absolutely N O T caused by any geometry problems :)

Well from what I have been told, if the geometry aint right on the front end one side could be working harder then the other, Im yet to get both discs checked to see if they are both warping or just one, but pretty sure both are.

Chris I wanted the car to come to you soon for a set of your shocks but wanted to get this sorted first. Could problems with the shocks be a cause of these issues, just trying to think of all possibilities....

Maybe I should get the car to you sooner and let you breath on her lol ;)

Just for info Im running 19" RH, I know Chris :D

So what could be the cause of my creaking, as I said before the lower wish arm got replaced it went, but then, Im not even sure if this is possible, but it really felt like all the geometry settings on the front just slipped back to shit as they were before ???? Or am I just too connected to my car and making this shit up lol.......

gutted mate, not having much luck:(

the refurb is a bit of a long shot maybe, mine were well knackered and constantly rubbing, although this didn't warp the disc, so it must be something more serious unfortunately.

I'm sure Marc mentioned they might need doing, whereas with mine they needed doing asap to avoid overheating.

think you may find it doesn't solve it, sorry mate, hope you get it sorted though