The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why didn't toyota.....

Daston

Hey guys

Just had a thought, we all know that the spec of the 2JZ-GTE can be increased so easily ie BPU, hybrids etc and that the 6 speed gear box is able to hold much higher power than it does when it comes out of the factory. My question is why did toyota do this? My experience with motor companies is that they try to do things as cheap as possible (ok not cheap and tacky but getting a car to a spec for that budget) so I dont understand why they didnt use turbos that could only handle .9bar or have a gearbox that would only handle 350bhp max.

This is one of my favourite quotes why -

In typical Toyota fashion, the Supra 3.0 liter in-line six is capable of withstanding large power increases without any aftermarket internal engine upgrades. One up-and-coming California tuner put it this way: "You open a Honda, you find a lightweight jewel of an engine where the components' strength is calculated to the last decimal place. The block's aluminum. Maybe you find an 11 mm stud some-where. You look in a Nissan, the corresponding stud's typically a little bigger-say 12 mm. But check out a Toyota: You'll probably find a 16. In a cast iron block, of course." :p

found here http://www.supraturbo.com/street_power_jan-feb%2098.htm

Because the main target was the Corvette, a car that simply does not break. 100k on a LT1 is barely run in! It's a shame that I've never seen a road test between the C5 vs the Supra (production overlapped by a year in the States) in the NA press. There's plenty of mkiv vs facelifted C4, inc a few tests with the mighty ZR1.

This is one of my favourite quotes why -

In typical Toyota fashion, the Supra 3.0 liter in-line six is capable of withstanding large power increases without any aftermarket internal engine upgrades. One up-and-coming California tuner put it this way: "You open a Honda, you find a lightweight jewel of an engine where the components' strength is calculated to the last decimal place. The block's aluminum. Maybe you find an 11 mm stud some-where. You look in a Nissan, the corresponding stud's typically a little bigger-say 12 mm. But check out a Toyota: You'll probably find a 16. In a cast iron block, of course." :p

found here http://www.supraturbo.com/street_power_jan-feb%2098.htm

Funnily enough, I always though that about Honda's bikes vs Kawasaki and Suzuki, for example. In the 80s, you could double the power of a big Suzi or Kwack 4 without breaking it, but try the same with a CB900 and it woud go bang.

My theory was that Honda knew about designing 4-strokes, and were confident about their calculations. The others were new to 4-strokes, so they did their calculations, then added a bit "just in case" :)

Any theories about why Toyota build engines which will withstand two or three times their designed output?

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11181&page=6

That's a drag race Crown from Australia with the 4.5 litre straight six from a Landcruiser. It finally threw a rod at about 900 bhp. Why on earth would you design a 4x4 truck engine which would hang together at that sort of power?