The mkiv Supra Owners Club

TRD LSD installation with photo's

Guest CoilSpring

Guest CoilSpring

I posted the other day but no one seems to have the carrier bearing part numbers. I did a search but cant seem to find a proper write up about it.

The bearings in used were Nachi 54KB921. You could either get it straight from Nachi or toyota.

Here are some photos of my installation to give you guys a glimpse of what you'll come accross.

JZA80 6speed TRD LSD

The Axle

Torsen LSD

The Pinion Gear

The Ring Gear

Carrier Bearing outer race

Carrier Bearing Retainer and Side Shafts

Left Torsen, Right TRD

I did not provide photos on the assembly of the unit. Just follow the service manual.

So how good is the TRD against the Torsen ?

5 times better

Any "clunking" sound while turning, like those of a 2.0way or full-lock?

Nope, just use the right oil, TRD 75w-140

Is it worth the upgrade ?

The first upgrade u need to do when you purchase your 6speed supra

Cheers,

Nice post coilspring... always meant to post the pics from my TRD LSD fitment but never got around to it. I have the Toyota carrier bearing and seals (did you replace your seals?) part number somewhere.

I would certainly agree it's a great improvement in handling over both a stock open and stock viscous LSD (I've had both). It's like the back end of the car becomes telepathic, you can feel it really follow the front of the car when you turn in on a backroad - without the TRD the back feels like it follows the front a little after you turn in.

This behaviour has it's advantages and will certainly see you go quicker down your favourite backroad.... but only if you drive it right! You have to be really smoooooth to get the best out of it, especially in your application of the throttle. Too much too soon will see it bite you.

A word of warning on that note, there is a downside to it - my other half nearly wrote my Supra off when coming off a two lane roundabout with someone in the outside lane - in trying to keep ahead of them, she applied the throttle pretty hard before being fully straightened up and with the TRD the backend just stepped right out, given how it locks up in such a situation to keep the inner and outer wheels spinning at a speed closer to each other than a stock diff. Result was nearly hitting a railing on the nearside then almost into an oncoming car on the offside before finally regaining control. She now refuses to drive the car, citing me having done silly things to it that's made it undriveable for her - this may be a good thing :D

Cheers,

Brian.

Guest CoilSpring

just realised my profile shows im from the states T_T, nowonder a dude asked how the heck I manage to register my JDM in the US, sigh...... [sHOCK][/sHOCK]

Bobbeh - 98,000yen, trd oil x 2 4,800yen, purchased straight from japan

tDR - thanks for the tips man. It's sumthing that we really need to get used to. Some note of caution was also noted on it's japanese printed manual. Yup the seals were replaced as well as the o-rings and snap pins.

I had a problem whith mine that has never really bben resolved. It seems to tight, like the diff is acting as almost a sigle axle. Was fitted by garage, but on return they admitted they didn't fully understand how to set-up a diff, just replaced one for another. It does slip, don't get me wrong, just needs more torque than I think it should? Anyone elsr got the same?

Oh and agree, this was one of the best mods on the car, you can control and hold the back end so much easier.:D