The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Petrol

Guest Phillw454

Guest Phillw454

Hi

Its abit random but i thought id post up about my petrol choice lately.

I have a j spec NA and usually just filled it up with super unleaded from where ever, tesco's esso etc.

Then heard some bad stories about tesco mucking up the o2 sensor and my car did seem to have that problem.

So i went out and found a BP station and tried some BP ultimate. Now it might just be me but the car seems to run ALOT better. Picks up better sounds better and the revs stay arround the 1000rpm on idle now as opposed to 500.

I also used RED X i think its called which flushes out the petrol system and cleans it all (only £10 from halfrauds)

Overall well worth it so if you think you have a dodgy o2 sensor or fancy giving the sup a treat i recommend this:)

Indeed, you can't go wrong with a premium fuel. Never used BP, but most people on the forum use Optimax - now V-Power, especially us TT boys. :)

Why anyone would want to fill up their pride and joy with low grade stuff I don't know!

Mt TT idels at about 700 after first warming up at around 1000-1100 revs. :)

anyone found out what RON value v-power is yet?

optimax used to be 98.6 RON until they noticed that it degraded quickly once sat for a few days and therefore took all the RON values off the pumps.

With the 'upgrade' to v-power they still haven't put up any RON values.

I'm still guessing it is simply just a re-branding of optimax.

BP has a definite 97RON value, along with Esso premium. Only Tesco 99 seems to be the leader of the 'power fuels'.

Also can't wait until bio-fuel hits the market properly. Much higher on the Octane scale.... all your car will need is a new ECU and bigger injectors by the sounds of things.... but then they don't come cheap for the Supra !

As bio-fuel is not derrived from oil I just hope that the big fuel companies such as BP, Shell, Esso etc. don't monopolise the market for it... otherwise we are stuck in the same old position of being held to ransom everytime they want more profits. Be good to see independant companies selling the stuff so there is more competition..... AND because it also burns cleaner the CO2 emisions should be much less.

Anyone else used RedX in their supe?

Yep, I use Redex injector cleaner (green label on bottle) but purely to keep injectors & valves clean and as a valve lubricant. Probaly does bugger all to be honest, but where I buy it is so cheap I don't mind.

Yep, I use Redex injector cleaner (green label on bottle) but purely to keep injectors & valves clean and as a valve lubricant. Probaly does bugger all to be honest, but where I buy it is so cheap I don't mind.

Yep the red bottle you put into a full tank. Just put in two bottles over the last 4 times Ive filled her up, half a bottle each time. Being 12 years old I thought id see what its like. It seems to have improved acceleration IMO.

silvershark - where do you get the 99RON value for v-power from ?

Testing of the various fuels through similar engines from some of the performance car magazines always puts Tesco 99 at the top of the list for performance... followed by BP and then v-power in third.

I think v-power is more around the 97RON value by the time it comes out of the filling station tanks.

anyone found out what RON value v-power is yet?

optimax used to be 98.6 RON until they noticed that it degraded quickly once sat for a few days and therefore took all the RON values off the pumps.

With the 'upgrade' to v-power they still haven't put up any RON values.

I'm still guessing it is simply just a re-branding of optimax.

BP has a definite 97RON value, along with Esso premium. Only Tesco 99 seems to be the leader of the 'power fuels'.

I've always used Tesco as the octane rating is the highest. Although V-Max sounds good (isn't that the one they say powers Ferrari's in the ad?) - but they don't display their octane rating ... so you don't really know how good it is s'posed to be (apart from trial and error).

NB Wouldn't put regular tesco's petrol in it though! Especially after their cock-up! (Their premium was unaffected)