The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What is Facelift?

R3DG3CKO ROB

I've been a member on here for quite a while now and people often refer to Facelift dials, lights, dash etc.

While I can see the differences between these parts compared to my Jspec. I still don't really know where these facelift designs came from?

Please forgive my ignorance but is there a standard for facelift Supras?

I've been a member on here for quite a while now and people often refer to Facelift dials, lights, dash etc.

While I can see the differences between these parts compared to my Jspec. I still don't really know where these facelift designs came from?

Please forgive my ignorance but is there a standard for facelift Supras?

Yes, there is a standard. In 96.5 all supra's had a 'facelift' when many, many components were changed. Mostly they're cosmetic. There is a guide in the FAQ section which provides an overview of the differences

Toyota introduced the facelift supra during 1996.

There seem to be a few discrepencies with the na models such as 5 speed/6 speed gearbox, lsd, bigger brakes, abs etc. The 97 on models either NA or TT came with VVTI engines (I think)

But you can pretty much tell it's a facelift model by the different front and rear lights, side markers on the front bumper and rear quarter panel, 5 gauges on the dashboard.

Though if you look in the FAQ section you'll find most of the differences.

Toyota introduced the facelift supra during 1996.

There seem to be a few discrepencies with the na models such as 5 speed/6 speed gearbox, lsd, bigger brakes, abs etc. The 97 on models either NA or TT came with VVTI engines (I think)

But you can pretty much tell it's a facelift model by the different front and rear lights, side markers on the front bumper and rear quarter panel, 5 gauges on the dashboard.

Though if you look in the FAQ section you'll find most of the differences.

AFAIK Facelift references the cosmetic differences, the mechanical stuff is related to the model (SZ vs SZ-R for example).

Maybe a mod would be kind enough to edit and sticky this post? or stick the pics I put up in the differences thread???

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=96405&highlight=facelift

Its a pain ready through that, and some of the info is wrong. Unless I missed something, isn't all that already covered in the 'model differences' pdf files?

Just to throw a spanner in the works about the indicators:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ken.holland/supra/vvti2.jpg

Looks like I have a facelift front and pre-facelift wings. :)

Mind you, Tim's g/f did have a crunch apparently and I have SimonB's old front bumper.

Makes sense - mine was imported back in '98.

Yeah, yours were added by the company that imported it, I remember asking Tim about it ages ago. For some reason some importers think they need them there to pass SVA, which they don't AFAIK, the side repeaters on the bumper are fine.